Growing Nasturtiums: From Seed To Showstopper Outdoor Planters!

Are you looking for a very simple and inexpensive way to create showstopper outdoor planters?

It's amazing how this nasturtium planter and a little bit of tender love and care...
came from just a few seeds!
I live in a zone three garden area in Canada near the Rocky Mountains. That means we are limited to what will grow well here without succumbing to the late and early frosts, heavy snow and what can be some pretty chilly winter temperatures. I know. You are probably asking who would live here?
But we do get some pretty amazing hot temperatures in the summer. What we also get are very long summer days with the sun rising around four in the morning and setting around ten at night. My backyard and patio also face direct south. That means it can get pretty hot and sunny for most of the day. All of my plants including my nasturtiums are very happy growing in these conditions.
I only discovered how well nasturtiums grow in tall planters through trial and error. I discovered that there is variety of nasturtium seed that is a trailing plant. You can even get trailing nasturtium seeds specifically designed for outdoor planters! Instead of having all of my nasturtiums climb up a trellis, I also have them trail down the outdoor planter.
I love the sunset colour scheme. They are such a 'joy to enjoy' when sipping a cup of tea or a glass of wine on the patio!
For more information about how I grow these beautiful showstopper flowers I invite you to check out the original blog post. I would love to hear your thoughts about growing nasturtiums!
These three outdoor nasturtium planters produce loads of seeds every year that I reseed the following year! Now that's super inexpensive!

Time With Thea

• Marietjie Lancaster

How do I sow the seeds and when?

• Time With Thea

I see you live in South Africa so your spring months are different in the Southern Hemisphere. I sow my seeds in early May. I soak the seeds the night before in a bowl of water. Then I plant them in the soil about 1" deep. I plant quite a few with the intent that some seeds will not make it and I want it to be a very full planter.

• Time With Thea

Hi Caroline... I am hesitant to give gardening advice for your zone but I think you will be successful growing them where you live. I think you will be able to plant them early, enjoy the blooms and then they will go to seed but you will be able to replant them and enjoy them all over again with your longer growing season. They are such a hardy flower that they thrive in a zone 3 where I live. My only thought is they may not like your humidity. Where I live it is very dry. They are such an inexpensive flower because the seeds are so easy to collect and replant. I would say have fun experimenting and see if they grow. BTW I would love to be able to garden in a zone 7-8. Lucky you!

• Cyndi

I live in Zone 8, Seattle. I LOVE nasturtiums. They grow REALLY well in Zone 8. I've used them in hanging baskets and trailing pots. I've grown them from both seeds and tiny plants and they grow quickly and profusely. Enjoy!!!