Growing Nasturtiums: From Seed To Showstopper Outdoor Planters!

Are you looking for a very simple and inexpensive way to create showstopper outdoor planters?

It's amazing how this nasturtium planter and a little bit of tender love and care...
came from just a few seeds!
I live in a zone three garden area in Canada near the Rocky Mountains. That means we are limited to what will grow well here without succumbing to the late and early frosts, heavy snow and what can be some pretty chilly winter temperatures. I know. You are probably asking who would live here?
But we do get some pretty amazing hot temperatures in the summer. What we also get are very long summer days with the sun rising around four in the morning and setting around ten at night. My backyard and patio also face direct south. That means it can get pretty hot and sunny for most of the day. All of my plants including my nasturtiums are very happy growing in these conditions.
I only discovered how well nasturtiums grow in tall planters through trial and error. I discovered that there is variety of nasturtium seed that is a trailing plant. You can even get trailing nasturtium seeds specifically designed for outdoor planters! Instead of having all of my nasturtiums climb up a trellis, I also have them trail down the outdoor planter.
I love the sunset colour scheme. They are such a 'joy to enjoy' when sipping a cup of tea or a glass of wine on the patio!
For more information about how I grow these beautiful showstopper flowers I invite you to check out the original blog post. I would love to hear your thoughts about growing nasturtiums!
These three outdoor nasturtium planters produce loads of seeds every year that I reseed the following year! Now that's super inexpensive!

3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
15 Perfectly Round Tables
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Time With Thea

• Marietjie Lancaster

How do I sow the seeds and when?

• Time With Thea

I see you live in South Africa so your spring months are different in the Southern Hemisphere. I sow my seeds in early May. I soak the seeds the night before in a bowl of water. Then I plant them in the soil about 1" deep. I plant quite a few with the intent that some seeds will not make it and I want it to be a very full planter.

• Cyndi

I live in Zone 8, Seattle. I LOVE nasturtiums. They grow REALLY well in Zone 8. I've used them in hanging baskets and trailing pots. I've grown them from both seeds and tiny plants and they grow quickly and profusely. Enjoy!!!

• Ginny Lehner

Hi There,

I live in zone 5-6 (Michigan) and am NEVER sure what the weather is going to be! We had frost and near 90 in the same week this spring. I started nasturtium from seed in April and just transplanted them last night. They are one of the prettiest trailing flowers I ever seen and I can't wait to see what they do. What a lovely patio area you have. Thanks for sharing.