Small Master Bathroom Makeover

$2000.00
2 Weeks
Advanced

This was our so called Master Bathroom. Everything about it screamed contractors special! From the cheap linoleum tile, builder grade particle board honey oak colored cabinets, to the 9" deep cheap fiberglass tub/shower insert. Our first project this spring was to finally turn it into a bathroom worthy of being called "Master". I would like to kindly remind people that doing a project like this on you own saves a lot of money but is alot of work. Im sure that there are things we could have done to improve it even more but we love how it turned out on our budget. Some people may not like certain things we did because we cant all have the same tastes. please keep your negative comments to yourselves. Also when I took the pictures of the new bathroom we hadnt added the quarter round trim yet. But we have since. Please read my comments below each picture before asking questions I explained the process as best i could.
I know how many people scream about painting over wood. Please bear in mind that these are not in any way solid wood cabinets. Even if you have them in your own home and enjoy them they are what they are.. Cheap builder grade standard cabinets.
how many people bought new homes in the late 80's to 90's with these same cheap ugly linoleum flooring throughout? Best part about this upgrade was finally ridding every room (this bathroom being the last to get new flooring) of this floor.
My husband and I have both had spinal surgeries, but there was no soaking aching backs in this way to shallow tub insert! Its the same one thats in the kids bathroom!
I kicked off the project by painting the cabinets. I used Shabby Paint brands Chalk Paint. (www.shabbypaints.com) Snow white paint with black revax. Revax is a wonderful toxin free alternative to wax/glaze. Its so easy to use! I then used their varnish for a high gloss sheen that gives awesome protection against humidity, water and high scrubable surfaces. Plus the varnish is 100% toxin free! odorless and no fumes!
My shabby paints stylist gave me the idea of adding a applique to the faux drawer. What a great idea it added so much more character!! We also bought a new stark white countertop and tile backsplash. I stenciled the glass canisters with glass enamel paints and love how they look!
while I painted the cabinets my husband painted the walls and trim. The previous owners had used the wrong sheen on the bathroom walls that did not hold up against the humidity and caused the walls to stain with water streaks. So we used Behr Ultra Semi-Gloss in Skyline Steel. I got this high end shower curtain for $15.00 at TJ Maxx. After all of this work i think that ITS my favorite part of the new bathroom..lol
Taking the old insert out wasn't that hard but getting this new 21.5" deep jetted tub in was more than we bargained for! My husbands friend helped us with the plumbing and electrical because we always leave that to the liscenced experts.
My husband got to work tiling. even made me a built in shelf with glass tiles to store my shampoos and things.
LOVE THESE NEW CERAMIC TILE FLOORS! They have the look of whitewashed plank floors. love it!

• Kel3553755

where did you get tub tile?

• Mis5225524

Love the bathroom... the tile in the shower what color is it?? That is exactly what I have been looking for... Please let me know if you can...missria6@aol.com

• Mmo39699297

What is the size of the tile above the bathtub. I'm trying to look at 10 x 14 but I can't get the measurements on the back wall to not have a sliver piece

• Sue4089257

That's wonderful! You both must feel so proud and happy every time you walk in there - you should! I've never had big money, so have spent my life DIY-ing, and you know what? I'd miss it too much if I didn't gave to do it. Or, at least I like to design and "piece together" what we can afford, and get help doing the work. It's immensely satisfying. The tiles around the tub, the new floor, your custom paint job on the cabinets - and I really like your choice of countertop - it all looks so much better! Great job! I hope you enjoy this. Did I say I love the floor? :) Sue.

• Maura

It ROCKS!! Love the stenciled jars and little wood trim on the vanity. Great idea. Love the large tile as well. And the paint on cabinets so nice. You must be so happy with the outcome...a real inspiration!! Made me laugh that after all your hard work you like the shower curtain hee hee.