Jamie Hofmann
Jamie Hofmann
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Overland Park, KS

Vase: From Plain to Fabulous

$3

So I was visiting my mom and saw she had kept all the clear glass vases the flowers came in over the years from the florist. So I decided to paint them. Not a new idea on this website, but I do have a few tips that might help someone trying for the first time.

vase from plain to fabulous

Here are a the collection of painted glass vases. Now what to do with them?

Supplies
Supplies

I gathered up some supplies. I love to DIY so I had a lot of this stuff on hand.

clean glass vase - run through dishwasher to make sure very clean.

acrylic paint

disposable cups

Flood (floetrol)

satin clear enamel spray paint

disposable aluminum tray

popsicle sticks

Make it flow
Make it flow

Choose your color scheme. I chose metallics and maroon. I started with about a tablespoon of acrylic paint and put each color in a separate plastic cup. Mix your color selections of acrylic with Flood at about 3 parts Flood to 1 part paint. It should easily run off the popsicle stick.

Layering your paint
Layering your paint

Pour your color selections into a clean, empty cup, layering the colors. Do not use up all your paint but save some for added design elements later in the painting process. Do not stir the layers.

vase from plain to fabulous

Take your vase and place it on an empty plastic cup, upside down in the metal tray. The vase should not touch the tray. We are painting the out side. The plastic cup it is sitting on allows the paint to run off and not sit in the runoff paint. You can periodically scrap off the nips of paint on the edge of the vase with a popsicle stick. This will give you a clean edge. Slowly pour your paint on the glass vase. If you feel like your paint is stuck in a vein and not covering the entire vase, just take your popsicle stick and smear a little paint at the top of the gap. That will get the paint flowing in the empty areas.

Add some drama
Add some drama

I wanted some definate color stripping this vase. I used some of the reserved paint and poured lines of paint down the vase. If you feel like you are puddling paint on the bottom, this is a good time to address it. Take a popsicle stick and push the paint in the middle toward the edge. Let the paint run, frequently swiping the edge with the popsicle stick.

Cover it up and let it dry.
Cover it up and let it dry.

Once you like the design and the paint has pretty much stopped flowing off, cover it up and let it dry. I frequently check it and swipe the edge of the vase with a popsicle stick during the drying phase. This helps ensure I have a clean edge. Once it is not shiny at all, it is dry. It usually takes about 24 hours. I then spray it with 4 light coats of the clear satin enamel, giving plenty of time for drying in between each of the 4 light coats.

Finished project
Finished project

• Barb

Is it possible to print the directions for this project?

• Barb C

I would love to have specific paint brands and colors you used, especially for the gold and maroon vase, if you could?

First time I was ever really impressed by a painted glass vessel. Thanks.

• Judy Constance

It's so beautiful! But I'm afraid to spend the money on the paint and mess it up. How much is that Flood stuff and will I find it in the same section as the paint?

• Tina

This is the first painted glass project I've actually liked the look of. It looks so rich and gorgeous! I am wondering about the product called Flood as well. I am assuming it is what enables the paint to cascade over the object being painted without having to use a gallon of paint? It doesn't seem to make the dried paint look watered down, however, so that's good. Nice!

• Tina

Thanks! I have many things I want to paint with the result being some sort of marbelized effect, from enormous plastic plant vessels to switch plates in the house. I'll probably blow something up with my luck so thank you for the well-wishes. 😀

• Lana Hassell

Jamie, I am speechless, and that is an unusual state for me to be in. This process is stunning, gorgeous, beautiful, amazing. I love the results you got on those vases. You explained the process in such a way that anyone should be able to do it. I intend to give it a try. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks👵👍. Thank you for sharing this with us. 🌹😘

• I love these vases, Im going to do this!!! These are beautiful... great job.. I hope mine come out well, LOVE IT !!!