Amanda Wittke
Amanda Wittke
  • Salt Lake City, UT

Pot Rack Re-do

$50

We've been in our new home for almost a year and in that time I've been unable to come to a decision regarding pan storage. We're short on cabinet space so storing them all in there was out of the question. We started with a lighted pot rack above the island but it felt too cumbersome and like it divided the room too much. It also hung too low causing the pots to block the tv while doing dishes. Then, we tried the half moon wall rack which looked nice but our stud placement wasn't favorable and it didn't have enough support....

pot rack re do

I thought I'd try a bunk bed ladder as well but it just wasn't quite the look I wanted. Cute, but not for me.

pot rack re do

I thought we could try some curtain rod hardware and a wooden rod that could be cut down to custom sized lengths. We went with the Allen & Roth brand at Lowe's because I liked the finish and that it had a wooden rod to match.

pot rack re do

First, I cleared the area and patched the holes from our previous attempts.

pot rack re do

My husband and I found as many studs as we could but did have to use a couple drywall anchors. If space would have allowed I would have rather they not butt right up to the curtains but we really wanted it to be sturdy and that's where the stud was. We also used some rubber washers on the ends to keep the rod from sliding.

pot rack re do

Finally, I touched up the paint and hung our pots! I ordered the S hooks from Amazon and they work perfectly. I love how it turned out and I feel like it's a much better fit for our space. I love my baskets too but I may relocate them. As always, I'm undecided :) but my new pot rack I surely love!

• Pamela K

Did you use a level? It appears one side is higher than the other, or did you do that on purpose?

• Novaline Tanksley

I like the idea. I actually use a tension shower curtain rod to hang my pots and pans across the window connecting the dining room and kitchen. My question is, why did you hang the rods close enough to infringe on the curtain? It makes it look too crowded.

• Amanda Wittke

Due to the spacing of the studs as mentioned above :) I'm working on a solution with my curtains.

• Diana M Sowada

Where do you keep the lids for the pots and pans? I’m just curious. Could there be a way to keep them together?

• Ellie

You did an amazing job

thank you for post.

Happy Holidays.

• Angel Duncan-Robinson

I also just saw a peg board idea that might help you. Let me see if I can find it.

• Amanda Wittke

very nice :) I love pegboard! I have a large one in my laundry room where we hang the broom, sweeper, and all kinds of other misc.

• Laura Stockdale

I put our pots and pans in the cupboard doesn't look cluttered. A few pans are clean and sitting on the stove only the ones for every day use.