Antique Cabinet Redo

$8

100 year old cabinet (or round about then) that needed some TLC . I did it once, twice, and by round three- I called it done!

Before anything was done
Before anything was done

I got this beautiful cabinet off a swap shop. I like wood and I like old stuff. I guess I’m kinda getting older so my appreciation for hand made items is growing. I digress- so got it for 2 reasons. 1- the finial at the top was beautiful. 2 - the star pattern in the glass is gorgeous!

See the stars?
See the stars?
Bottom of the cabinet
Bottom of the cabinet

Plain but with a little help?!

Phase 1
Phase 1

Phase 1 -Thought I would paint the inside and make a ‘stencil’ using a doily. I didn’t like li because the paint ran and some areas didn’t stencil well.

Re- paint and try again
Re- paint and try again
antique cabinet redo

This time I taped off the areas I didn’t want the paint to land.

antique cabinet redo

Taped the doily down. This time it’s going to work!

Right side is one I spray painted. Left is ga

I didn’t like it either! Muddy looking and not how I pictured it. 😫 re- paint again! Dry and try again.

antique cabinet redo

Finally- I like it! So, moral of the story? Keep trying till u get it right! I added the 2 wooden pieces to the bottom to tie in the top finial. I left the shelves as they were. Painted the inner panels a lighter gray . Highlighted the cabinet with bronze .

antique cabinet redo
antique cabinet redo

• Lori Rouch

I have an old plain pine dresser. Nothing exciting about it, just plain. Do you have any suggestions to spice it up?

• Sonja

Send me a picture and I can give you suggestions. ? Thanks

• Sylvia

Why do you have to paint all that nice wood?

• Bizzee Bee

Painting old, tired wood is the best way to give a piece new life. If this piece hadn't been rescued and painted, it would have probably been sent to the dump. I'd rather see a painted piece being used and loved, than a stained piece getting thrown away.

• Patticake78

I love it!! Could you tell me what color you had you chalk paint mixed to be? and the glazing I assume you used to achieve this beautiful look- I have a built-in desk and shelves that I must do- and I love this look, having the looks you used would just be awesome!! Great job! A++++++ Oh and did you put a wax on it? Thank you SO much!! Hope mine turns out as well as yours did!! But will let you know when I get the colors and am finished

• Sonja

Patti, I mix paint like I cook- A little of this , a little of that until I like it. So, unfortunately I can’t give u an exact recipe. I had some tan paint, mixing pepper black and white. Then I put plaster powder in with calcium carbonate. Mixing very well- it created the color I ended up using. The highlight was metallic bronze. I have not put wax on it. If it were a desk that I would use a bunch, I would seal it either with wax or a clear mat coat of a polyurethane. I would have to investigate that. Send a picture of your finished product please. Thanks

• Cynthia H

I like your update! I've used lace as a stencil, and sometimes it worked with spray paint, sometimes with a stencil brush. Maybe it was the paint or the fabric of the lace. My sharpest images came from the cheapest lace. I agree that paint is sometimes the only thing that will save an old piece.

• Sonja

Thank you Cynthia!