How to Make Easy Reusable Beeswax Food Wraps

$1

This year our family plans to dramatically reduce our use of single-use plastics. One simple way to do so is by replacing our plastic wrap and food bags with home-made reusable beeswax food wraps.

We all know the impact that single-use plastic is having on our planet. 40% of plastic produced across the world is packaging, used just once and then discarded. (National Geographic, 2018).

Not only is plastic

how to make easy reusable beeswax food wraps

This is my fridge after a typical weekend. Lots of leftovers stored ready to be used up just as my mother did before me. All protected (or so I’ve always thought) with a clean layer of plastic wrap to keep my food fresh.

Our lunch boxes are a similar story. Sandwiches carefully wrapped so not to let their contents contaminate the kid’s fruit and other snacks. Lots of single-use plastic – one of the most significant problems facing our environment today, and a simple place to make changes.

What we Used to Make our Easy Reusable Beeswax Food Wraps

Men’s Cotton Handkerchiefs (Amazon)

Beeswax Beads (Amazon)

• Old Baking tray and parchment

• Old, clean paintbrush

Reusable beeswax food wraps are both cheap and straightforward to make at home. You can use any tightly woven thin cotton fabric to make the waxed covers such as old cotton sheets and make them any size and shape you want. We used a pack of 11 inch square men's handkerchiefs for ours which were an unwanted present received at Christmas. They are the perfect size for wrapping a sandwich.

I used unrefined beeswax beads to make our food wraps. It is possible to use beeswax blocks and grate them yourself, but this is quite a task so if you do buy the wax specifically for this project using the pellets makes this project much more straightforward.

Before I started making our Beeswax food wraps, I popped our handkerchiefs through a hot wash to remove any coating they might have on them.

Line an old baking tray with baking parchment and lay the cotton piece you are using on top.

Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of Beeswax beads evenly across the fabric’s surface, before popping into a low oven (about 140 C) to melt. I checked the progress every few minutes for the first one I made and found that mine needed about 8 minutes for the wax to melt completely.

Once the wax has melted remove the baking sheet from the oven. You can use the paintbrush to ensure you have an even covering of wax across the cotton square before it starts to set if you need to. I found the heat from the baking sheet kept the wax melted long enough to do this if I worked quickly.

Hang your beeswax wraps up to set. I hung mine over a piece of string suspended between two chairs. They only take a few minutes for the wax to harden.

And here are our home-made beeswax food wraps.

You can find out more about how to use and care for the beeswax food wraps in our original post, the link for which can be found below.

Craft Invaders

• Angela Carter DePew

How do you care for them?

• Craft Invaders

Thanks for your question Angela. To clean reusable beeswax wraps wash in cool water with a mild detergent and a sponge or soft brush and leave to dry. The wraps will take on a creased look over time. You can quickly refresh your beeswax wraps if you wish by returning them to the oven and re-melting the wax.

• Josephine Doris

Love this idea, however, how so you use these as container covers in the fridge as your pictures suggest ?

Thank you

• Carol George

I want to try this but how do you clean them?

• Craft Invaders

Hi Carol Due to the wax coating the wraps need to be washed by hand in cool water. You can use a mild detergent, sponge or soft brush on them but nothing too abrasive. Leave them to dry and they are good to go again.

• Vicki

We really need containers all crystal clear so we can see through to the food, as I myself waste food because I can't see it.

We need a separate small cold storage fridge for just family daily drinks, where each person has their own drink bottle and they don't have to go and open the big fridge doors .

• Phyllis Harris

EXACTLY why I have pyrex...and they slip in the microway easily for reheating! They have lids too and last a LONG time! Like youI bought a used mini fridge and put it up on a table with a microwave next to it. Microwave pizza rolls in fridge portion drink below down neat the fam room did the trick. They are lazy so something quick there was easiest and kept them out of my kitchen.

• Rhonda Aurelio

Just a heads up-My large pyrex bowl smashed into billions of sharp pieces when we in a hurry...