A
A
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Vineland, NJ

Outdoor 2x4 Bench

$35

I've been slowly entering into the realm of small building projects. For Christmas this year, I made a few gifts. One of those gifts was a bench for my daughter and son-in-law to use by their fire pit. I found the idea online and recruited my grandson to help.

outdoor 2x4 bench

I began with eight 2x4x8' pressure treated pine studs. They were a little damp so I left them in my garage for a few days to dry out before cutting them.

outdoor 2x4 bench

I carefully measured the studs and cut them.

5 pcs at 69" (seat)

4 pcs at 16" (legs)

4 pcs at 13" (ends)

2 pcs at 7.5" (ends)

outdoor 2x4 bench

We then took the sander to smooth the rough edges to hopefully prevent splinters down the road. My grandson especially loved using the air compressor to clean up the sawdust.

outdoor 2x4 bench

Using a square to ensure straight sides, and following the photo of the bench, we began assembling the sections.

outdoor 2x4 bench

Beginning and ending with one long seat board and alternating vertical and horizontal pieces, we screwed them together with 3" wood screws.

outdoor 2x4 bench

This is what it should look like on the ends. This photo shows the bench on its side using a scrap block to prop it up.

outdoor 2x4 bench
outdoor 2x4 bench

Here's the almost finished bench and my proud grandson.

I'm storing it in my shed over the winter. When the weather warms up, I'll give it a good coat of deck protection then deliver it to the kids.

• Rob

4___ 13 inch end PCS does that leave 2 extra?

• A

No, there are 2 on each end. They are between the legs.

• Artee

Beginner here! What is the assembling sequence? What size(s) boards do I attach to which size boards.? Is each 69” piece the same assembly? Do I make one 69” board at a time and are all prepared equally? When and where do the end pieces go on? Thank you! Can’t wait to get started.

• Susan Severino

Love this ! And your grandson is a cutie pie . Thanks. Well I guess I have another job for my husband and I to do. Directions were great by the way. Thanks again.

• Kathy

Great bench...I’m thinking our fire pit could use one of these too! Thank you for posting...and for sharing your adorable assistant! He makes it all worthwhile doesn’t he?