DIY Filing Cabinet Makeover

$40
1 Day

I needed a space to store some important paperwork and I wanted it to be cute - so I took a metal filing cabinet that I found at Goodwill for about $15 and transformed it into an adorable place to store all of my papers. If you love this simple project, check out more easy DIY projects over on my blog, Love & Renovations.

Here's a look at the filing cabinet before. It was just a plain metal cabinet, in relatively good condition, but definitely in need of some sprucing up.

I used Rust-Oleum's spray paint to paint both the drawers and the base of the cabinet. The base is Oregano and the drawers are Chiffon cream.

Once the cabinet was dry, I added some large gold stickers to the drawers - one says "Work" the other says "Life". I didn't seal the stickers, and they seem to be holding up fine so far, but if they begin to peel I'll use a clear coat to hold them in place.

This was a super fast and simple project and I love how it turned out! You could get really creative with the colors and style of how you do this, but a little spray paint goes a long way when you've got an ugly metal filing cabinet! You can see a full video tutorial for this project on my YouTube channel.

Love & Renovations

• Dee

Love the work and life stickers. Where did you get them?

• Judy

She said you used large gold stickers. Hobby Lobby has an assortment in different fonts.

• Betty

My home is very old and has plaster walls which are in very good shape. My question is how do I hang pictures or heavy mirrors without damaging them. I appreciate any help I can get!! I’m tired of looking at bare walls! 😊

• Mariann

The method used when your home was built was probably the method still used in Art Galleries. They can be hung by ‘invisible’ wires drilled into the wooden molding along the wall/ceiling (see photo below)

For smaller objects: Many of these older plastered walls also have lath walls that the plaster was added to. You can use a very small drill bit to make a test. You will know when you’ve found the path/wood (see photo below).

• Ranny

Is it really that simple to spray paint the drawers. I have an old file cabinet and would love to do it but I worry that the paint will look streaky and home=done.

• Karen

What a nice idea! Sure looks different from a regular ole metal tool cabinet! Good job!

• Grayson Collins

This is awesome I think I will do it in my home office

• Joanna

Kuddos to all women who has proven time and time again that we can handle DIY projects ourselves. I never understood why my husband seemed so surprised when I’d finish a project that required using power tools...because I never got the same reaction out of him when I plugged the vacuum cleaner into the wall! Just sayin’😉 giggling☺️☺️