DIY Filing Cabinet Makeover

$40
1 Day

I needed a space to store some important paperwork and I wanted it to be cute - so I took a metal filing cabinet that I found at Goodwill for about $15 and transformed it into an adorable place to store all of my papers. If you love this simple project, check out more easy DIY projects over on my blog, Love & Renovations.

diy filing cabinet makeover

Here's a look at the filing cabinet before. It was just a plain metal cabinet, in relatively good condition, but definitely in need of some sprucing up.

diy filing cabinet makeover

I used Rust-Oleum's spray paint to paint both the drawers and the base of the cabinet. The base is Oregano and the drawers are Chiffon cream.

diy filing cabinet makeover

Once the cabinet was dry, I added some large gold stickers to the drawers - one says "Work" the other says "Life". I didn't seal the stickers, and they seem to be holding up fine so far, but if they begin to peel I'll use a clear coat to hold them in place.

diy filing cabinet makeover

This was a super fast and simple project and I love how it turned out! You could get really creative with the colors and style of how you do this, but a little spray paint goes a long way when you've got an ugly metal filing cabinet! You can see a full video tutorial for this project on my YouTube channel.

Love & Renovations

• Dee

Love the work and life stickers. Where did you get them?

• Betty

My home is very old and has plaster walls which are in very good shape. My question is how do I hang pictures or heavy mirrors without damaging them. I appreciate any help I can get!! I’m tired of looking at bare walls! 😊

• Joanie

It looked fine the way it was.

• Leslie Johnson

Just to balance out the comments: this is gorgeous. Great idea on separating work & life. I used to keep them both in the same drawer and it didn’t work well.

I’m inspired to try this with an aqua color.

Thanks!

Leslie