Emily / Relentless Furniture
Emily / Relentless Furniture
  • Tutorial Team
  • South Milwaukee, WI

If It Falls Apart, Put It Back Together!

$32

We found this desk at a Goodwill for $10. It was a beautiful desk but it was in desperate need of repairs. It was standing when we loaded it into the truck, but by the time we got home, the legs had started falling off. So I started piecing it back together.

if it falls apart put it back together

This is how the desk looked when we got it home from the thrift store. One leg fell of in the truck and the other pieces started coming off as we unloaded it and brought it into the house.

if it falls apart put it back together

The legs of the desk were originally held together with staples and although they were heavy duty staples, they simply did not provide the support needed for this desk. I wanted this desk to be sturdy so I put everything back together with wood glue and screws.

if it falls apart put it back together

After removing all of the hardware, I taped off sections that I didn't want painted. I also used wood filler to fill in old holes and scratches, then gave it a very quick sanding.

if it falls apart put it back together

With a bit of luck on a trip to Lowes, I found Valspar furniture paint in charcoal for the returned paint section for $2! I wasn't originally planning on using such a dark color, but with a deal like that I had to put that paint to good use. And I love how it looks with the dark wood that I left unpainted.

if it falls apart put it back together

I got the square drawer pulls from Habitat Restore and the cup drawer pulls from Menards.

if it falls apart put it back together

Before and After

Looks great! Love the mix of wood and paint. Great job.

• Ron Yager

Nice job--just wanted to pass on a hint about using a large clamp when you don't have the right tool. Take a length of heavy cord and wrap it around what you want to clamp, then tie it off, take a large screwdriver and use it as a crank to tighten the cord. I have a hand truck whose tires always lose air and when I go to pump them up, they are to loose to accept air so I take a cord and wrap around the circumference of the tire , tighten, then add the air--works everytime.