Do You Love Cats? Come Visit My Kitty Cottage

$239

How did I end up with so many cats! Well, eleven years ago I brought home three kittens from the pound. Then five years ago I was wanting a kitten and ended up with three. Then four years ago I adopted four from a rescue (why four?) and a year after that two strays came. There is a stray in the barn as well!!! So, it is becoming extremely hard to keep up with cat hair. While some cats come and go outside on different schedules there are some that are totally indoor cats. We had a problem with a dog that didn't like cats so I was afraid to let them out. I decided I needed a place for these cats to be outside in a safe environment. There had to be whimsey involved out in the garden. And so the Kitty Cottage came to be.

do you love cats come visit my kitty cottage

This is where I decided to put the cottage. Inside a grove of redwoods. Nice and shady and protected. At first I was actually looking at cat houses and then chicken coops. They were made of wood and were kits and just seemed like too much maintenance with painting, plus the wire seemed iffy on the chicken coops. So, I decided if a dog kennel could keep a dog contained in, it would keep a dog contained out!

The kennel measures 8x4x6. Using two pallets on hand a base was created and then OSB was screwed onto the pallets. The OSB was painted to help with moisture and also got a coat of Olympic watersealant.

Assembly is fairly easy. Two people would be a big help when you put all the panels together. The kennel comes with a canvas cover/roof. Rain can still blow in, but it does provide some cover. My husband built a small cat house several years ago (even our doxies used it) so I painted it and it will provide complete protection if the cats are out in inclement weather or cool nights.

Here's the shell ready for the canvas top. I added vinyl poultry fencing across the top using zip ties because I'm a bit worried about the cats squeezing out between the canvas and bars.

This is not the top that comes with the kennel. I had this on hand from another project and I like it because it has a scallop. The door on the kennel had a dog emblem so ...

Optional purchases

a cat magnet makes a good camouflage. Can't have a dog greeting my cats!

Remember, I needed some whimsey so a window, door knob and a wreath help make a cottage complete.

Doesn't hurt to have a few mice.

No vacancies! Two bedroom, one bath, separate dining and lounge areas.

• Patty

How do they get out,or do you bring them in?

• Lovesunique

Stu, sounds like you have a good set up for your pets. I have 30 acres. Some of my cats are allowed out and some have never been out! Plus I also have dogs. Same with them, some are out all the time and some sleep in crates inside at night.

• Susan

I think this is awesome! I had 2 cats who were killed by coyotes so I can’t let my cats outside anymore. This would be great for them!

• Lovesunique

Thank you! So far no attempts by dogs to get at the cats or their food, i.e. digging or scratching.

• NY2AZ
    2 hours ago

I love the kitty cottage! Would like to do something similar for my fur babies. Great job!!

• Lovesunique
      30 minutes ago

Thank you! I put the indoor kitties out yesterday (my sick barn cat was out). It was so funny because two out of three freaked out and hid in each "bedroom". I had to coax them out to bring them back inside my house. This little "cottage" is going to be a good thing once they get used to it.