How to Make a Patriotic Salt and Pepper Caddy From Thrift Store Finds

$10
1 Day

This isn't something that I would typically pick up at the thrift store. But I was looking for something unusual to update for a blogger challenge and this was the perfect piece. It was only a couple of bucks for the whole set -- the wooden lazy susan, 2 pottery pitchers, and the salt and pepper grinders.

Sign up for our weekly email & get all our projects sent straight to your inbox.

The only supplies this project needed were paint and paintbrushes. I used this white paint, blue paint, red paint, varnish, and paint brush for this project. Oh, and a little piece of sandpaper.

First, I gave the round-about a couple of coats of white paint.

I don’t think the salt and pepper grinders were original to the set. They didn’t quite fit the circles on the round-about. I’ve seen similar pieces online and they came with pottery salt and pepper shakers that match the oil and vinegar bottles.

I painted both grinders white first, then painted two coats of blue on one grinder and two coats of red on the other. Then I took a little piece of sandpaper and distressed the edges.

And since this will be used and probably have food dropped on it at some point I finished it off with a coat of varnish so it will clean up easily.

To finish it off, I replaced the oil and vinegar pottery bottles with some blue mason jars. Still have the pottery… have any ideas for them?

Now the picnic caddy is ready to be filled up and carried out to the patio. 

{{{ See more red, white, and blue projects HERE. }}}

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to sign up for my email list above so you’ll get all my future projects sent directly to you. We'd love for you to join us in our thrifting adventures!

15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Ann @ Duct Tape and Denim

• Christy Roppel

You can certainly paint the ceramic items :)

• Susan

The ceramic pieces could be used as : 1) for oil - to use for frying, drizzling on food to bake or grill, 2) dish soap dispenser- looks nicer than dish soap bottle. 3) syrup- if you eat breakfast foods that require syrup. Just some ideas.....