How to Make a Patriotic Salt and Pepper Caddy From Thrift Store Finds

$10
1 Day

This isn't something that I would typically pick up at the thrift store. But I was looking for something unusual to update for a blogger challenge and this was the perfect piece. It was only a couple of bucks for the whole set -- the wooden lazy susan, 2 pottery pitchers, and the salt and pepper grinders.

post

Sign up for our weekly email & get all our projects sent straight to your inbox.

The only supplies this project needed were paint and paintbrushes. I used this white paint, blue paint, red paint, varnish, and paint brush for this project. Oh, and a little piece of sandpaper.

First, I gave the round-about a couple of coats of white paint.

post

I don’t think the salt and pepper grinders were original to the set. They didn’t quite fit the circles on the round-about. I’ve seen similar pieces online and they came with pottery salt and pepper shakers that match the oil and vinegar bottles.

I painted both grinders white first, then painted two coats of blue on one grinder and two coats of red on the other. Then I took a little piece of sandpaper and distressed the edges.

post

And since this will be used and probably have food dropped on it at some point I finished it off with a coat of varnish so it will clean up easily.

To finish it off, I replaced the oil and vinegar pottery bottles with some blue mason jars. Still have the pottery… have any ideas for them?

post

Now the picnic caddy is ready to be filled up and carried out to the patio. 

{{{ See more red, white, and blue projects HERE. }}}

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to sign up for my email list above so you’ll get all my future projects sent directly to you. We'd love for you to join us in our thrifting adventures!

Ann @ Duct Tape and Denim