How to Make Faux Mud Cloth

$10

I love mud cloth. It's so beautiful and I love the simple lines of the patterns.

But I wanted it for a bench that would sit in my dining room and I hated the thought of my kids possibly ruining precious fabric.

So I made my own DIY version.

I used drop cloth for this project. Drop cloths are cheap and I love the texture of them.

You can bleach them to make them whiter and softer. I normally just sit mine in a tub of bleach and water for a few hours, stirring them every now and then.

Be sure to use 100% cotton for best results.

Before getting started, I protected my table with a sheet of cardboard in case the pens bled through. Drop cloths are thick, but I didn't want to take any chances.

Use a black sharpie and start drawing your designs. I used a ruler to keep my designs straight.

Mud cloth is known for it's simple lines and dots. Look at examples before starting to figure out how you want your faux mud cloth to look.

The next part of my design needed slash marks, so I used a ruler to line up and mark one side of them before moving onto the other side.

Here's the other side.

Keep going until your fabric is filled, alternating the designs.

When it was done, I went back over any marks that were too light.

You're not looking for perfection. The beauty is in the imperfect lines.

I love how the pattern turned out.

The fabric looks great on the bench I made.

For more info on this bench, check out on my blog where I write about easy home decor projects, furniture makeovers and creative DIY home improvement ideas.

Emy Flint | Semigloss Design

• Betty

You did a fantastic job! Mudcloth is such a cool look, but you're right--you don't want it damaged by kids/pets/klutzes.

• E95656

Love this!