Brick Seating Area

$0

Needed to create a seating area and I had some bricks that I wanted to use. the area was unleveled and consisted on dirt, lava rock, and some brick that had been buried in dirt.

brick seating area

I started by gathering bricks and sand. I loaded the bricks I a trailer and parked them near the worksite.

brick seating area

I placed sand in the area I was going to place the bricks and used a rake to level as best I could.

brick seating area

I started working the bricks into place. I changed direction of brick after each layer. I did my best to keep them level as I went and used a garden spade to add or remove sand.

brick seating area

I continued adding bricks and filled in the desired area. I tamped the bricks tightly as I went by hitting the sides with another solid brick.

brick seating area

I added a small step up to the seating area.

brick seating area

I added a metal rocker with cushions. Then added some plants. I am happy with how it turned out. I now have a comfortable area to sit and watch the Koi play.

• Bricks  (Back yard)
  • Sand  (Back yard)
  • Garden spade  (Shed)

• JD

I love the look, really nice. Question: how do you keep the bricks from shifting during freeze/thaw cycles? I’d like to make a brick pathway but I’m afraid I’d have to re lay it after a couple winters.

• Julie Bonebrake

Nice job! Smaller bricks are likely to shift and roll, unless you use some kind of edging to hold them in place. Garden stores will have some available or you could use treated lumber and hold in place with long spikes driven through and into the ground. Then you can enjoy your space longer before doing corrections.

• Wendy Anslem Maxwell

And this was done with wall brick, and not solid brick. have any of the brick broken?

• Velliyah

Looks like the bricks with holes are sitting on their side

• Lori

What did you fill the holes with in the middle of the bricks? The first picture shows bricks with holes and the following pictures show bricks without holes?

• Bryan
    An hour ago

First you need to properly slope for drainage, next you need some spacing and sand so that expansion wont damage your materials or project, lastly you need more materials. Good use of extra around the house building supplies.

• Jean
    36 minutes ago

We had resurfaced a crumbling cement porch floor by adding a new cement layer within a few years of winter/summer the surface is cracking and chipping off is there any way this can be prevented?