Weathered Wood Finish in 3 Easy Steps

$200
1 Day

I bought this cute little table for $25 at my favorite thrift store. It was exactly what I was looking for except for the finish; I wanted a weathered wood finish. No big deal, this is an easy 3-step fix.

The size of the table was a perfect fit for this narrow porch. The only thing was, the tabletop needed a quick fix. I wanted it to have a beachy vibe to go along with the rest of the coastal theme. A weathered wood finish is what it needed.

These are the supplies you’re going to need:

A large car sponge, gloves, wood stain, and a clear coat (I forgot to add it in the picture).

Step 1

The first thing I did was sand it down to the natural wood. I used 320 grit sandpaper and an electric sander. It’s the fastest way to get it done. No time to do it by hand.

When sanding a wood surface, it’s always best to follow the grain of the wood.

Make sure you clean all the dust off. I just used a clean rag and I also used a paintbrush to get it out of the cracks.

Step 2: Apply a small amount of stain on the car sponge

Start at the top and wipe the stain on the wood in a vertical direction. It dries really fast so work in small sections.

When it dries, lightly sand the wood to create some additional distressing and help enhance the graining. It will give it that weathered beachy look. Wipe off the dust.

Step 3: Seal your finish

I used a clear coat that works well for exterior surfaces because my table is on the outside porch.

Brush the clear coat evenly in a vertical fashion and cover the entire piece of furniture. I applied two coats.

I love how the natural wood color and the grays show through. Not bad for a $25 thrift store find.

Hope this was helpful.

Would you like to learn more DIY tips, join my free Facebook group Ask Cheryl Phan. And if you have a question don’t be afraid to ask.

15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
15 Memorial Day Crafts
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Cheryl Phan

• Trudy

Looks Great! I am curious, why did you stain with a car wash sponge instead of a rag or brush?

• Cheryl Phan

Hi Em:

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. To answer your question, the reason I use a car sponge instead of a rag or brush is because it gives it an even finish. Sometimes when you use a rag or brush it will leave streaks. It's also less messy and easier to apply the product. You can use rags or a brush but when working with a stain you want to add it then remove it as soon as you put it on. I just use the same sponge to do both. If you would like more of my DIY tricks and tip I would like to invite you to get my weekly blog incase you haven't already done so here's the link. https://www.subscribepage.com/diy-projects Happy painting. looking forward to talking again.

Cheryl

• Julie Tisone Osburn

Absolutely stunning! What color is that lucious stain?

• Pineapple

Beautiful table. I’m going to try this. Thanks for an easy job.

• Carol Cole

I love that color, it looks wonderful.