Rocky River Rainbow Yard Decorating

$25

I got this idea from a school that involved their students in making a colorful rainbow rocky river. I knew it would give my own yard a beautiful burst of color and wanted to do something similar.

Lay out your landscaping fabric and stake down the roll of edging with the waviness of a river.

We staked ours out along some logs and fencing. This part of the process took maybe 30 minutes max.

We gathered up all our old cans of spray paints. Anything in bright colors was okay for mine! But certainly go with the colors you want. A variety of blues would be amazing!

Some bigger rocks we gathered up free but we needed more so bought a few bags of river rock. We did wash ours to be sure the paint would stick well.

I used leftever tins to paint in but boxes work as well. Once you spray the rocks, let them dry then flip them over or at least get their sides that might show. The painting is what took the most time. My granddaughter helped with the spray painting- she's a great help!

We mixed our colors up to get a rainbow effect. Pretty, right?

Last you'll trim off the edge of the landscaping fabric from the edges to better define the wavy river look. Or you could add mulch or plants along the edge.

We added some bags of "glow in the dark" rocks from Amazon but our area is rather shady. Perhaps if used in a sunnier location they'd glow brighter. If you try that let me know how it works for you.

Our gnomes really enjoy their Rainbow River- it's magical!

• Michelle Dawson Stinson

I like it but when it rain wouldn’t the color comes off

• Sheila 35

I would like to see the water running through the mini river. I also put luminous stones in my fish tank - look great when light has been on for a few hours and then turned off

• Cindy Rubin

does the paint say if it is animal safe?

• Kelly-n-Tony

The paint adheres well and does not have run off. And I've never seen an animal eat a rock- colored or otherwise. Hope this eases your fears.