Mid Century Inspired Ikea Bedside Table Hack

$60
1 Day

Our two Ikea Hemnes bedside tables fit great in our small apartment, but when we moved they looked so small in our new space. I decided to use update them into larger mid-century inspired tables with open shelves.

The starting point - basic Ikea bedside tables.

I started by taking both units tables apart and cutting the legs off both side pieces (left side shows cut).

Using my Kreg jig, I added pocket holes along the top and bottom of all four side pieces and then reattached the fronts.

Using an orbital sander and 40, 60, 80, and 120 grit sandpapers I removed the original finish and created a nice smooth finish ready for staining.

Using the pocket holes, I attached the original unit to a piece of 3/4" plywood and then added a new side and top.

I painted the entire unit except for the top which I stained golden pecan. 8" tapered legs gives the unit a more modern look.

The final unit now fits the space perfectly and has addition open shelf storage for books.

Casey FitzGerald