DIY Crate Bench

$50-100
2-3 Hours

Several weeks ago, nine other bloggers and myself decided to take on a challenge. Buy crates from Michael's and create something with them. I decided on a DIY bench, which ultimately ended up as a cheerful addition to our front porch...
I purchased the crates from Michael's and the wood I'd need from Lowe's (the exact plan and dimensions are in my blog post). Then, I set about staining the boards and legs and "red-washing" the crates to allow the rustic wood characteristics to shine through. Once that was complete, it was assembly time...
We added legs to the bottom board and bolted the crates together with chunky steel bolts...
Then, we attached the crates to the top and bottom boards with wood screws....
...and what was left was a droolworthy bench that makes me swoon every time...
I love the "Industrial-Schoolhouse" feel it evokes, especially up against our brick porch...
...and that pop of color rocks my socks! The thing that I love most, though, is the versatility. Sure, it's fantastic on our porch, but it would also be awesome in a mudroom to store shoes and purses, or in a child's room for toys. The possibilities are endless!
For more details be sure to check out my blog post! :)
(P.S. The cost of this project can vary depending on Michael's coupons, type of wood used and choice of legs, so I stated a range.) :)

18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Operation Home Blog

• Helen

Is that strong enough to use as tv entertainment stand? 50" to 60" tv?
  • Wendy Wagner

I don't remember crates to be very strong, specially to sit on. Don't they bend or wobble some??
    • Buc133469

I'd be concerned about sitting on it, too, with the simple crates I've purchased from Michaels. However, if they are the same crates, possibly the distribution of the weight over 3 crates may make it work....but then again, I'm no mathematician!

• Loyce

As someone else asked too, what is red washing - I’m not up on finishing projects, thank you.

• Koko

This is a Great Idea!

Tks for sharing ~KO~

• Robin

This is amazing~ I can’t wait to do this. I need a bookcase in our new house... exciting!!