DIY Crate Bench

$50-100
2-3 Hours

Several weeks ago, nine other bloggers and myself decided to take on a challenge. Buy crates from Michael's and create something with them. I decided on a DIY bench, which ultimately ended up as a cheerful addition to our front porch...
diy crate bench, diy, outdoor furniture, painted furniture, porches, repurposing upcycling
I purchased the crates from Michael's and the wood I'd need from Lowe's (the exact plan and dimensions are in my blog post). Then, I set about staining the boards and legs and "red-washing" the crates to allow the rustic wood characteristics to shine through. Once that was complete, it was assembly time...
We added legs to the bottom board and bolted the crates together with chunky steel bolts...
Then, we attached the crates to the top and bottom boards with wood screws....
...and what was left was a droolworthy bench that makes me swoon every time...
I love the "Industrial-Schoolhouse" feel it evokes, especially up against our brick porch...
...and that pop of color rocks my socks! The thing that I love most, though, is the versatility. Sure, it's fantastic on our porch, but it would also be awesome in a mudroom to store shoes and purses, or in a child's room for toys. The possibilities are endless!
For more details be sure to check out my blog post! :)
(P.S. The cost of this project can vary depending on Michael's coupons, type of wood used and choice of legs, so I stated a range.) :)
Operation Home Blog

3 questions on this project