DIY Crate Bench

$50-100
2-3 Hours

Several weeks ago, nine other bloggers and myself decided to take on a challenge. Buy crates from Michael's and create something with them. I decided on a DIY bench, which ultimately ended up as a cheerful addition to our front porch...
diy crate bench, diy, outdoor furniture, painted furniture, porches, repurposing upcycling
I purchased the crates from Michael's and the wood I'd need from Lowe's (the exact plan and dimensions are in my blog post). Then, I set about staining the boards and legs and "red-washing" the crates to allow the rustic wood characteristics to shine through. Once that was complete, it was assembly time...
We added legs to the bottom board and bolted the crates together with chunky steel bolts...
Then, we attached the crates to the top and bottom boards with wood screws....
...and what was left was a droolworthy bench that makes me swoon every time...
I love the "Industrial-Schoolhouse" feel it evokes, especially up against our brick porch...
...and that pop of color rocks my socks! The thing that I love most, though, is the versatility. Sure, it's fantastic on our porch, but it would also be awesome in a mudroom to store shoes and purses, or in a child's room for toys. The possibilities are endless!
For more details be sure to check out my blog post! :)
(P.S. The cost of this project can vary depending on Michael's coupons, type of wood used and choice of legs, so I stated a range.) :)
Operation Home Blog

• Tre11366056

Is that strong enough to use as tv entertainment stand? 50" to 60" tv?

• Wendy Wagner

I don't remember crates to be very strong, specially to sit on. Don't they bend or wobble some??

• Buc133469

I'd be concerned about sitting on it, too, with the simple crates I've purchased from Michaels. However, if they are the same crates, possibly the distribution of the weight over 3 crates may make it work....but then again, I'm no mathematician!

• Loyce

As someone else asked too, what is red washing - I’m not up on finishing projects, thank you.

• Bruce Kestner

Yea that's a really good idea I'm going to build one for my porch and one for the entrance way of my house thanks for sharing!!

• Julia Sipe Bentley

Cute, cute, cute!! Did I say how cute this is??? Great job!