Four Season Burlap Wreath- Winter

$20

This is the beginning of another versatile all season wreath that I wanted to create because the first one I posted has been so popular, the Frugal Four Season Burlap Wreath. This one will be similar but I've added a few twists to it! Shall we start?

I sliced a pool noodle in half lengthwise for another wreath and had pieces leftover so I used them to fill in the hollow of an 18" wire wreath form. I secured it first with floral wire but tape was chosen in the end as the better option.

Securing the Noodle into the Frame

I added the hanger on the back with the string in through the frame before I went any further.

Back View

Next I cut my burlap fabric into strips that were glued end to end to give me the overall length I needed.

Strips Measured and Cut
Strips Joined

The next part involves using jute string in the place of thread to sew the burlap around the wreath, using a large darn needle to thread the string through. The video below should clarify the process.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Wreath Covering

*As a tip I had to add a teensy bit of hot glue to the tip and flatten between my fingers. I then cut it to a point to easily feed it through the needle, don't worry once it's done....it's done! Pull jute through needle and cut the glued tip off because it will hinder you stitching through the burlap.

Darn Needle threaded with Jute String

Here's the start of the process feeding the string through with a simple running stitch.

Running Stitch

I gathered the fabric onto the form as I stitched because the length is double the wreath circumference. Below is a video to show you how I ended off the stitching.

Ending off the Stitching

Here is a side by side comparison to the old way that I made my first burlap pool noodle wreath. The new version using a frame gives it structure and strength plus it's a bigger size!

New vs. Old Pool Noodle Wreath

I know it was tedious but I much prefer the look that the jute string stitching along the edge gives and the longer fringes longer as well.

Fringed Edge Comparison

Remember I said I was going to add a twist to this new wreath, I did! I went around the width of my four fingers and twisted the fringe inward, the next equal spacing the fringe stayed outward, the next increment it was twisted inward until I completed the full circle.

Twisting the Fringe Inward

Below you see how I am forming the pattern of twist, remain, twist again working my way around.

Twisting the Burlap

Now comes the fun part, the icing on the cake....decorating the wreath! Since its almost Winter I'm going with that theme for now and I think a snowman would be fun. I had old and new Styrofoam balls of different sizes that I first sliced in half.

Slice the Strofoam Balls

I used the white paint to cover just the recycled one which had hints of color left behind on it.

The recycled one was chipped from removing glued items off it so that sparked the idea that all snowmen aren't perfectly smooth anyhow. I went with that sentiment and began to carefully chip away at the other snowballs

Imperfecting the Styrofoam

I notched out the base where each ball would rest to have the balls sit snugly as they would with a real one.

Notch out the resting points
Better fit once the notch is made

Now this next part hurt me as much as it's going to hurt you...turn away if you have a weak stomach.😄 Inserting a skewer stick up through the bottom, breaking through all 3 of the snowballs.

A little glue was added to the snowball joins to keep them in place onto the Skewer.

Inserting the Skewer

Actually since they were snowballs, he was frozen....didn't feel a thing! See the patient is doing quite well in recovery!

I glued on buttons by indenting them a little into the Styrofoam and using a little hot glue. I had blue plastic sheets that I cut out his mittens with, eyes of coal are black buttons, mouth is just dots made with the red Sharpie marker. His carrot nose is a wooden skewer painted orange.

Bringing the Snowman to Life

The orange cloth is a microfiber towel that I made his scarf and hat out of. I ended up afterwards using an orange plastic sheet to cut out matching mittens for our man, taped on to more skewer sticks and pushed into the styrofoam.

Handsome Snowman

I think we need a sign, so I whipped up a banner with burlap ribbon and acrylic paints in turquoise and white shades to create an ombre effect. The first one I outlined with black and I didn't care for it so I started on the next one. .

Paints and Burlap Ribbon

I gave it a white outline first, in my own handwriting using the paintbrush.

Word Outlined in White

I had a folded paper towel underneath to catch any paint that seeped through the burlap.

Paper Towel catches excess Paint

I blended the colors to go from the dark to light and finally white, it reminded me of frosty, icy colors.

Ombre Banner

To make this wreath a four season one, all parts will be easily interchangeable. The banner is attached with safety pins at the back.

Securing the Banner

The snowman is pierced down into the pool noodle by means of his skewer stick. I added a tiny bit of snow covered faux greenery to camouflage it.

Securing the Snowman

Lastly, I added a touch of shimmer with these plastic snowflakes just hooked into the burlap with floral wire.

Floral Wire and Snowflakes

Ready to see the finished look? Isn't he cute?

Interchangeable Wreath- Winter

Remember this is part one of a four season wreath so I'll link the next three seasonal looks to this post, you won't want to miss them!

• Lisa

I love it! I need a few more snowmen for the winter season so I will make this!

• Mary DeRose Petrino

I would have appreciated a picture of the completed project.

• Sea Trace Creations

There is definitely one there, it seems there's issues with some Hometalkers either not waiting for all pics to load or issues with Hometalk?? This is a screenshot I just took to show you the completed look is there.