A Gossip Bench Gets a Much Needed Makeover

$16

This makeover will definitely be talked about! I loved the spindles on this adorable bench. It needed some love but had tremendous potential.

I didn't let the puppy chew marks scare me away. First, I cleaned the bench with Dixie Belle Paints' White Lightning cleaner and a Scotch Brite sponge.

I used Bondo to repair the damage. It definitely took a couple of applications. After the mixture dried each time, I sanded with 80 and 150 grit sandpaper to smooth out the rounded edges. I then gave the rest of the bench a light sanding with 220 grit paper.

Some of the spindles were loose so before I glued them in place I disassembled the table part of the bench to make it easier to prime and paint. I applied 2 coats for Zinssser Bin Primer since my plan was to paint the be bench white.

I wanted a true bright white for this project so I used Serenity White from The Chippy Barn. After the paint dried, I used 220 grit sandpaper to lightly distress the bench. I sealed it with their Lavender scented clear Specialty Wax.

To give the bench a little more wow, I wanted to add an upholstered seat. My hubby measured and cut wood to fit. We lined up the wood then drilled 4 holes through both the seat and wood. I lighted sanded the edges so they wouldn't be so sharp.

Next, I hammered tee nuts into the wood piece. These give the screws something to screw into other than wood.

I marked the underside with an arrow so I would know that it was the edge that would be at the front. This is to make sure the screws line up properly.

Time to upholster the seat! I laid the wood piece onto 1" foam and used a marker to draw a cutting line. I was able to cut the foam with scissors.

When upholstering I always add batting over the foam. I wrapped the batting about an inch over the back.

Using my DeWalt staple gun, I attached the batting and trimmed the excess in the corners.

I chose this light blue fabric with these adorable little birds from Hobby Lobby. I measured, cut, and pressed over the fabric before I attached it. (Remember the arrow I drew on the back? Since my fabric had to be applied in a specific direction, it was important to know which side was the front.) Once again, I used my staple gun to attach the fabric and trimmed any excess.

Now, this bench says let's give 'em something to talk about!

29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/leapoffaith090117/

• Sharon

Do you have a video showing how you repaired the chewed places? I have a piece just like that (chewed, that is) and I have looked everywhere to find a way to repair it. Thanks

• Cherie

if its a tough area to replicate, you can always get make a mold of the area with hot glue of the other side and press that onto the wood filler/bondo to get the curve or detail you need. It's helped me on more than one occasion

• Dean

Nice Job-so what's the latest gossip?

• Susan

Very nice, I love that you added an upholstered seat to it, so much more inviting!!

• Sherylllynette

Awesome idea ... I’m now eyeing on transforming a hall Ikea shoe bench into a functional piece like this! Thanks for the inspiration!