Vintage China Cabinet Makeover

$50

I love these vintage china cabinets so much. This one must have been enjoyed greatly by the previous owners because there were a lot of cosmetic dings, a large gouge on the front and side but that's totally ok - we love to fix up flawed pieces!
Those hepplewhite pulls send me swooning each time! We removed them and set them aside to clean later.
To get this cabinet looking fresh again we cleaned with krud kutter and warm water, then rinsed. After it was fully dry we used bondo to fill the gouges and sanded it smooth. Make sure to use bondo outside and use a respirator because it is extremely smelly and does have some precautions listed on the label.We also sanded out the dings and made sure to remove all sanding dust with a tack cloth. We then primed the top part with Coverstain Primer spray since it was going to be painted in an off-white called Antique White. We wanted to minimize the likelihood for bleedthrough so this primer is perfect!
After priming and painting the inside, we taped off the inside so we could protect that new finish. We were going to use a clear primer for the body, but instead used up what we had (Coverstain primer).
Here it is getting madeover with a spraygun. Using a spraygun is a huge timesaver, especially if you are going for a one color look. We did two coats, lightly sanding in between each one with 400 grit sandpaper. Once that was done we removed the taped off area and sealed the entire piece with High Performance Top Coat in Satin. We cleaned the hardware with Bar Keepers Friend and a soft nylon wire brush. An old toothbrush would also work really well. After letting it dry completely, we sprayed the hardware in Rustoleum matte Black and sealed with their Top Coat.
Here it is fresh and updated. The dark pulls ground the piece and complement the navy so nicely! Thanks for following along!

25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!

To see more: //www.instagram.com/aminidesignashburn

• Jackiemoho

Love the navy, could you tell me the color that you used?

• Bennie

I have a soft heart when I see an old china cabinet but I have never refurbished a cabinet in just 8 hours! My hats off to you! I am curious about why you removed the back; was it damaged! I have never used krud kutter and just prime with an oil base primer. Is krud kutter easy to use? Thanks I'm glad I dropped by!

• Cindy

Hi Bennie, you MUST TRY krud kutter !!! They have all sorts of cleaners, and they absolutely WORK, so you don't have to work so hard!! I use the house (outdoor) one, purple label, safe on plants and cleans the green gunk off my siding and older fiberglass garage doors. The yellow label kind for cleaning my white kitchen is an absolute miracle, just spray and wipe, of course I do rinse with clear water but it doesn't require according to the bottle. I was blown away by this stuff it cuts grease and grime and even in the store I do recommend it to customers near me when they are trying to find a cleaner of some sort.

Another handy tip is that on the top of my cabinets (by the ceiling), I line those areas with that glad wrap stuff that is kinda sticky. When it is time to clean I remove easily and replace. 😉