Jewelry Box Makeover

$10

Jewelry Box Make

Making over a thrift store jewelry box can be fun and invigorating. Learn how I transformed this old jewelry box into a modern Farmhouse mini hutch in a few easy and fun steps.

I must confess, I have a thing for jewelry boxes, especially ones with a little history. So I have taken it up myself that on my weekly bread run to the local bakery I pop in o the thrift store next to the bakery to see if I come across any “seasoned” jewelry boxes. Well on my last run I came across this old jewelry box that just needed some TLC and decided to give it a Modern Farmhouse mini Hutch feel.
If you haven’t yet, check out my refurbished jewelry box I did not too long ago for a friend.
I enjoyed turning this old beat down jewelry box into something modern and useful and this how you can too!

Supplies:

• Jewelry box
  • 150 grit sandpaper
  • Black matte spray paint
  • Wood glue
  • Black felt
  • Buffalo check scrapbook paper
  • Modpodge
  • Square dowel
  • Wood sealer

Before

Step 1: Take apart any removable parts.

Start by removing all hardware, drawers, and doors.

Step 2: Make the new drawer pulls.

Cut 1 1/2” pieces from the square dowel to make modern drawer pulls. Save the old drawer pulls for future projects.

Step 3: Paint.

Spray paint all the hardware with black matte spray paint. This includes the previously cut makeshift drawer pulls made from the wooden dowel. Let it dry completely.

during

Step 4: Sand and stain.

• Remove any preexisting felt. Then continue by Sanding the jewelry, the doors, and drawers.
  • Proceed by wiping them down.
  • Make sure to cover any pieces you don't want to sand, like glass doors.
  • I decided not to stain it to leave it the way it was after I sanded for a more raw wood look.
  • Continue by sealing the entire jewelry box.

© 2020 Hometalk.com PrivacyTermsContactSupport

Step 5: Line and decoupage.

• Line the inside of the drawers and to the bottom of the main jewelry compartment using black felt.
  • I used felt that had an adhesive backing, so it was pretty easy to apply.
  • Continue by decoupaging a buffalo check print to the sides of drawers. 
  • The black felt and the buffalo check print adds on to the Modern Farmhouse look I was aiming for.

Step 6: Reassemble.

Attach all the previously painted hardware. Glue the wooden drawer pulls in place with wood glue. Allow the glue to try prior to using the drawer pulls.

Step 7: Enjoy!!!!

This Modern Farmhouse mini hutch jewelry box makeover turned out better than I expected. I absolutely love it. 

I’m actually using it and displaying it in my master bedroom.

Have you given new life to an old, worn-out jewelry box? How did it turn out? We would love to know in the comments below

Home Defined HD