Thrifted Cabinet Makeover

$200

Needing to find a cabinet for our newly renovated master bathroom, I stumbled upon a cabinet at my local Habitat Restore. With a little bit of paint, mirror film, and new door pulls, this thrifted cabinet was the perfect addition for all of our storage needs.

I found this cabinet that had great bones, but needed an update. My original plan was to sand off the hand painted flowers and give it a couple coats of paint.

But when I was sanding, the center of the door popped out. I made a decision to go a different direction.

I removed all the hardware, popped out the remaining center panels, and gave everything a couple coats of Sherwin Williams color of the year, Naval.

I had a local home Improvement store cut panels of plexiglass to fit the squares of the doors.

I found antique mirror film online that was as simple to install by peeling off the back layer, spraying with a soap and water mixture and attaching to the pieces of plexiglass. I used a squeegee to push the remaining water out. Once everything dried overnight, I used E6000 to secure the panels in the doors.

I used all the same hardware that came with the cabinet, but I did switch out the door pulls with something that would match the bathroom decor.

Now the cabinet is a stylish addition to our new bathroom.

To see how the bathroom turned out, check out the final reveal here.

CribbsStyle

• Katie Walling

Where did you get the pictures in your bathroom? Nice job!!!!

• Jacx

The more I see this transformation the more I like it! It's just so far from the original piece. How did you put this together in your mind? That part always intrigues me. Did you go thru several machinations of design before deciding on this one?

• Jacx

Ah, happenstance led to such a beautiful end result. You shifted gears and created a truly unique beauty. Real creative genius allows that next step to happen. So nice.

• Stevemar2

At first I thought “Gasp! Don’t change it - it’s so cute!” But the more I looked at the new version, the more I actually liked it. I rarely find such cute stuff at our Habitat. And if I do, it’s way overpriced. If I may ask, how much did you pay at Habitat? I’m always curious if other Habitats are as pricey as ours. Beautiful job!

• CribbsStyle

I agree, ours is very hit or miss. I think this one was $100. Which isn’t bad considering how much to buy a new cabinet would cost and it was in really good condition.