DIY Faux Topiaries

$10

If you don't have a green thumb, you can make a faux topiary! The trick is to make one that looks realistic and doesn’t scream FAUX. See below on how to make your own topiaries.

Gather supplies

• pair of clay pots (mine were the small size with 3.5″ diameter)
  • 2 small floral foam pieces (I got 3.8″ by 2.8″ by 1.9″, but they’re too big)
  • a pair of styrofoam balls, 4″ diameter
  • 2 bags of Reindeer Moss, 24 cu in.
  • handful of Spanish moss
  • 2 sticks from the yard, approx. 12-15″ long each
  • handful of pebbles or rocks from the yard
  • hot glue gun & glue sticks, pen/pencil or screwdriver

Fill pots with rocks

First you’ll want to put rocks or pebbles inside your clay pot. This will help anchor the pot and keep it from toppling over with the weight of the ball.

Cut floral foam to fit in pots

Next, you’ll need to place the floral foam piece inside the pot. Since my clay pots were pretty small, I had to trim my floral foam piece to fit inside. I used a serrated knife to do this.

Put floral foam in pots

Secure the floral foam inside the pot with hot glue so that it stays put. Allow time for glue to dry.

Put stick in styrofoam ball

Meanwhile, make a hole in the styrofoam ball using a sharp pen, pencil or screwdriver. Insert one end of the stick into this hole and secure with hot glue.

Add moss to ball

Apply hot glue on the ball in sections, and wrap Reindeer Moss on it to secure (be careful not to burn your fingers – apply the moss gently!). As you apply the moss, try to give it a ‘wilder’ look versus a neat patted down look. This will help keep the faux topiary feeling realistic.

Put topiary in pot

After glue dries, make another hole in the center of the floral foam using the pen/pencil or screwdriver. Trim your stick to the desired length if necessary (you don’t want the faux topiary too tall so that it topples over). Next, gently insert the bottom end of your stick into this hole and secure with hot glue.

Cover pot with moss

Lastly, cover the top of the floral foam piece with Spanish moss (or more Reindeer Moss if you prefer), securing with hot glue.

Finished!

You’re ready to showcase these faux topiaries for spring! 

If you liked this craft, you may like  these similar DIY projects at my blog.

And be sure to visit my blog for ' A Year of Farmhouse Crafts' free guide!

Susan - A Box of Twine