Cinder Block Fence With 4x4's

$150

Cinder block posts with 4x4's rails for diy

Note: The cinder block posts are movable they are not buried or cemented down. Making this fence movable and customizable at any time.

Cinder block and paver stone.

1st I marked in 2 1/4 inches on the 12x12 paver stone to have area where cinder block would sit. Next apply Loctite adhesive on paver stone being generous but not to much it will squeeze out. (1 10 oz tube was enough for 4 applications). Place cinder block on top and position into place. Let set/cure for 24 hrs.

Note: if you need more stability look into using a larger 16x16 or 24x24 paver stone/tile

Placement

After allowing the cinder block and paver stone to cure 24 hrs, allowing for a good bond, I then started placing them where I wanted. Making sure to line them up, getting the correct distance apart and leveling.

Note: Loctite PL 500 landscape adhesive per tube has a 2-7 day cure time.

Adding 2nd cinder block

After all beginning cinder block posts are placed and leveled. Next get ready to add 2nd cinder block. Apply Loctite adhesive to top of 1st cinder block. Set 2nd cinder block on top. Let set/cure 24hrs.

Note: depending how tall you want your fence you can stop here or add on. Also cinder blocks come in a half size with just 1 hole. I also considered adding a paver stone on top for a column look and a larger area on top to sit a pot, decor, etc

Adding in 4x4's

Add your 4x4's in the desired holes in cinder block. I added mine in 1, 2 and 3 leaving 4 empty. Other options are (1) 1 and 3 only, (2) 1,3, and 4 or (3) in all 4 holes. It's up to you how you want them.

Note: 4x4 treated lumber comes in different lengths 6, 8, 10 and 12 feet.

Optional-Painting

My final step was painting my cinder block in the Behr barn and fence paint to tie in with the fences and trim on the house.

The 4x4 rails sit within the cinder block not attached to the other 4x4 or glued in. The 4x4 are heavy enough they don't move.

The ends of the 4x4 share the hole in the cinder block. Also 4x4 won't warp like a 2x4.

Note: landscape lumber is a less expensive option. However I've had landscape lumber warp on another project.

I added/glued reflective house numbers to the first post with a solar spot light on it for night.

• Solomom

Great project! No need to hire a contractor! Did it really just cost $150?

• Lorraine

less, and you can get the cinder blocks in tan which makes it so pretty and less materials....no paint

• Patty

Did you do anything to the cinder blocks (pre-treat) to make sure the paint would adhere and last a long time? What prevents the paint from being absorbed by the cinder block? I'm dying to try this project, it looks awesome!

• Patty

I've been told to use a primer first to seal the block. But if you use a good oil based paint as she did,i wouldn't think you would need a primer.

• Kerin

It looks wonderful but with the windstorms in Arizona wouldn't it blow over? I had a microburst and half of my porch roof blew off last year. What would be the best way to ground them? Hopefully if they are windproof my pony and donkey wont try to know them over for fun. Oh and yes I try to pen them up but they enjoy watching the cars go by in the front yard.

• Julie White

A pony and a donkey would ultimately knock this down for sure..........