DIY Old Fashion Plate Rack

$30

Create an old fashion menu board for your home to hold your plates and cutting boards. I loved creating this project with the sponsor of Blue Ridge Tools on this post.

Creating a plate rack letter to add a vintage style to your dining room.

Step 1: Measure and cut

First measure the space that you will be putting the plate rack. Once you decide on the total width and height, you will decide how many racks you will have. I chose to have 3 sections that way I would have wide spaces. I cut the 1x2 pine board in (2) pieces at 54inches and (2) pieces at 36inches. Then, I cut the base board molding into (3) pieces at 34 inches. Finally I cut the stipe molding into (6) pieces that are 36inches long.

Step 2: Nail together frame

Once all of the pieces were cut, I took 1x2 pine boards to build the frame. I used the nail gun to put the frame together.

Step 3: Measure base molding

After putting the frame together. I took the pieces of base molding that I cut, to make sure that they fit inside the frame.

Step 4: Measure strip molding

Then I took the strip molding and laid them across the frame to make sure they fit properly.

I took the frame out and painted the frame and the molding strips. Once they were painted, I used my Blue Ridge Tools to attach the frame to the wall.

Step 5: Attach Frame to wall

Once the frame was attached to the wall by screws with my Blue Ridge Electric Screw Driver and level.

Step 6: Attach base molding to wall

Now that the frame is attached you want to make sure the space between the base molding is spaced out evenly. I did 17 1/2 inches that way the space was even. The base molding is what will hold the bottom of you plates in place.

Step 6: Draw lines for lettering

After the base molding is attached to the wall by nails, you will then take the Blue Ridge Level and a metal sqaure to draw the lines straight across. The first like was at 5inches below the frame and the second line was 1/2 inch below the first. This is to create the space between the lines. The third line was 4 inches below the second one because, my vinyl letters are 4inches tall. You will repeat this process 3 times in each section.

Step 7: Apply lettering

Once the lines are drawn you can start putting your letters on the board. I used a family recipe for the letting on this board. You could use a recipe or even make a menu board.

The letters were attached to transfer paper to put on the wall.

Step 8: Remove transfer paper

I placed the letters in the lines and took a plastic putty knife to adhere them to the wall and then peeled off the transfer paper.

Step 9: Remove pencil lines

Now that the letters are on the board. I took a magic eraser to remove the pencil lines from the wall. You will then take you strip molding and place it on the frame to help hold your plates and cutting boards in.

Step 10: Attach strip molding

I placed the strip molding 2 inches above the base molding and then took the second piece of strip molding and placed it above the first piece. I took the nail gun and attached one side of the molding to the frame and then took my level to make sure the pieces was straight across before attaching the other side.

Once the strip molding is attached, you can then begin to style it. I hope that you can create your very one old fashion plate rack. Check out more of this view on Pinterest and styling on the Blog

Jessica Russell Itty Bitty Farmhouse

• Spanky

We did something like this in the 80's to hold out LP's(records) because we had so many. Still use it today, can't bear to part with them. Lol

• Ann Eichenberger

Wow. I love your plate holder. It is so slim that it doesn’t stick out from the wall like many plate holders do. Thank for posting this very clever project.