Old Bed to Sofa

$100

I was given an old double bed headboard and footboard that a friend had put behind her shed 5 or 6 years ago.

The bed rails were destroyed as they had been flat on the ground under the headboard and footboard

My hubby and I are building a cabin, so at first I thought about refinishing and using it as a bed, but we wanted a queen size, so, I decided to make a couch.

This is the headboard and footboard as they were, after being cleaned of dirt, mud and one ugly black moldy area being sanded off.

The bed was quite damaged and some parts had been previously “repaired”. i am not sure what the white stuff was, but it took 60 grit sandpaper and a palm sander And 30 minutes of sanding to get it off!

Someone in the past had screwed on 2x2 to support a split piece

Gluing, sandIng, filling and clamping

The longest part was waiting for things to dry. The split leg was glued together, and clamped for 24 hours

Its getting there!

After removing all the clamps, the filler, and wood was sanded smooth.

Putting it together. Once this was done, I took measurements to see what I would need as seat framing and a back

Seat framing. Made with 2 x 4’s . I know it looks crooked but its not. The angle of the photo and the drain slope of the floor Created this illusion.

Back, made of 1 inch plywood

Seat, covered in 1 inch plywood

Stained “Special Walnut” by Minwax. This photo was taken at night under florescent Lights and the colour really wasn't that dark

The back. I added a 1x2 to cover the transition from the footboard back, to the plywood.

I used a RV memory foam mattress and cut it to make the cushions. I also wrapped quilt batting over the foam and made rolled pillows.

Done!

• Jamie Tyler Smith

We recently purchased a craftmatic bed and I was wondering what to do with the beautiful king size head and foot boards. Now I know Just what to do! Thank you for your idea! It turned out beautiful and you did a fantastic job! Thank you again for sharing! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Shelap

Would love a couple of these in my living room. Such a better size & further off the floor than the new type of couches. Plus no more expensive reupholstery, just recover cushions. But, best of all a wonderful use of a beautiful bed frame.

• Teresa

Thank you. I like how it turned out and it’s super comfortable.