How to Make Tomato Cages.

$15

I have some big tomato plants in pots on my porch. One had a metal cage and seemed to be doing better than the one without a cage. I decided to make one instead of buying one.

Here they are!

I measured my tomato plant to determine how tall I wanted the cage. My plant was about three feet tall but since it could grow taller, I decided to make the supports 4 feet tall.

I used

2 - 2 by 2 pressure treated pieces of wood each 8 feet long

3 - 1 by 2 pressure treated pieces of wood each 8 feet long

wood screws 1 1/2 inches long

electric screw driver drill

Each corner will have a 4 foot support. These are made from pressure treated 2 by 2’s. They come in 8 foot lengths so I bought two lengths and cut each in half to make my four 4 foot upright supports.

I measured my tomato plant across and estimated that 16 or 17 inches would work. I cut 8 pieces and a few extra if I decide to add on.

I used wood screws to attach the 1 by 2 to the 2 by 2. It will resemble a ladder.

I made two ladder-like sides.

Before adding the cage, I put two small pieces of pvc pipe and two funnels into the soil to make watering easier.

I add one to the front and one to the back side.

It just makes watering a little easier.

This part is easier if you have a helper. With your two ladders on each side you will now attach cross supports to connect the two ladders.

Add one and then the other and then do the other side. Or add the bottom ones and then the top ones.

Plenty of room for me to add on if it gets taller.

I really like how sturdy the cage is. I painted them with some exterior paint that I had on hand. This isn’t necessary but I did it anyway.