Farmhouse Fall Blocks

$5

I'm constantly looking for ways to use up the abundance of scrap wood laying around my shop. There are always a million little ends of cut-off boards that I can't bring myself to throw away! With cooler weather just around the corner, these blocks are a great way to re-purpose scrap wood and add to your Fall decor. Here's what you need.

Materials:
  • 2×4, 2×8, and 2×10 (scrap pieces, must be 2x thickness to stand on their own)
  • Stain
  • Chalk paint
  • Craft paint

Cut List:

You can use whatever sizes you have on hand but these are the dimensions I used.

• 1-2×4@5
  • 1-2×4@9
  • 2-2×4@9.5
  • 1-2×8@7
  • 1-2×10@6.5

Stain all of your blocks. I used Dark Walnut by Rust-Oleum. After your stain is dry, paint the face of each block using chalk paint or craft paint in a white or cream. I dry brushed three coats of the paint so it would have a distressed look.

I free-handed the lettering on the blocks which took several attempts. Thank goodness for erasable chalk pencils! It’s a little hard to see on the cream paint but it’s just enough to guide you for the letter placement. If you don’t want to do it this way, you could use graphite transfer paper.

I wanted to add a little color to one of the blocks so I went with this pumpkin. Drawing a pumpkin is pretty simple. If you can draw an oval then you got this. Draw your center oval then draw half ovals coming out each side. Then, just draw a stem and a little curly vine. Again, if you don’t want to do it this way you could use transfer paper or a pumpkin stencil.

Here are the craft paint colors I used for the pumpkin.

After all the detail painting is finished, go back and sand everything by hand to give it a worn look. Sealing the blocks is optional, I didn't use anything on mine. Make as many as you want! You are really only limited by the amount of words you can think of to describe Fall. These would be great with Christmas words as well!

Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters

• Robin

Absolutely! We are renovating the whole house and I am with you, , can't just throw those pieces away, thanks for the inspiration.

• Build It Thrifty

Yes I save everything...such a lumber hoarder! 🤦🏼‍♀️ Probably why my shop is so cluttered 🤣🤣

• KateyV

Never heard that word before, lol.

Also, I've never heard of these erasable chalk pencils until this article.

I will try them instead of graphite paper. Thanks for the info!