Flip Your Old Baseboards!

$50

Baseboards cover the uneven edge of flooring next to the wall while protecting the wall from kicks and furniture bumps. They can also add style to the area! I had old baseboards, but instead of replacing them; I added to them.

Finished!

These are my finished baseboards! What a difference a little wood and some caulk can make.

Strip!

If you're going to repaint, stripping the paint is the best option. This is because baseboards take a lot of beating. You can skip the stripping if you're using a good primer, chalk paint or adding wood over the surface.

I added wood, so I didn't need to strip the paint.

(This was during my planning process)

Adding height!

I went double high. I attached a piece of plywood the same height and width as the baseboard into the studs.

You can also use drywall anchors.

*You can also use an adhesive if this is a permanent project.

Thin Plywood!

I cut 4mm plywood and 'wood glued and screwed it' over the baseboard using self countersinking wood screws.

Fill in the holes with wood putty and sand.

The cap!

I screwed on a decorative cap and caulked everything with a paintable caulk.

*It's easier to fill in all of the holes with wood putty and sand before caulking.

Before!

I'm preparing this wall for wallpaper!

Old meets New!

Check out that green! It's called Khaki green and I played around with colors before deciding on milky white.

New Baseboards Before!

The baseboards before the milky white paint!

New Baseboards After!

What a difference!!

The bottom piece of wood is called base shoe and I went with flat base shoe. You have a lot of options!

Paint the shoe molding first and attach it using nails. Just paint over the nail heads.

Finished corner!

The new baseboards!

This is an easy way to transform those old baseboards!

31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Everything Red For Canada Day
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/bryansworkshop

• Ck

why can't you just pull off old base board , then add flat new under with old on top

• Bryan's Workshop

That is an option. My house is old and the baseboards are secured to the studs with monster nails. I'm experienced and find it troublesome removing the baseboards without damaging the drywall. I came up with this idea.

• Mary

Where did you get that gorgeous wallpaper? It’s amazing!

• Bryan's Workshop

Thank you! It's from Photowall. Check them out. The wallpaper is called Magic Forest-Green and they have it in other colors. The size is also customized to your wall.

• ShelbyNeen

Hello - Love the baseboard tip & will certainly use it on our next renovation. I wanted to ask you about that beautiful wallpaper also; did you install it over the green brick wall or am I just seeing it that way? If you did, please tell me how.

Thanks for sharing.

• ShelbyNeen

This is helpful and my walls look exactly like her's in the tutorial. I need to check out their website. Sayōnara

• Candice Williams

How can you do this if the current molding has a top design already? I don’t want to damage the walls.

• Bryan's Workshop

Is it a cap on top of the baseboard or is it a design in the baseboard? To make the baseboard higher, you can attach wood just like I did above the molding and then cover the front with a thin piece of plywood.

After attaching the wood above the molding, you can also fill in all the spaces with putty and sand, before covering with plywood.

It's the same process, but you'll have a void from the molding design. This is easily filled and sanded. You'll need to buy new cap molding. I hope this helps.

• Linda

Great work, with fantastic results. Thanks for sharing!