How to Make a Picture Ledge (Without a Saw)

$40

Have a large blank wall that needs some decor?! A picture ledge is a fun way to add wall decor to a space that you can change up as much as you want! Follow this simple tutorial to make an 8' long picture ledge without using a saw.

STEP 1: Sand the Wood

Lightly sand the three pieces of wood to remove any rough edges and get a nice smooth surface.

STEP 2: Attach the Back to the Bottom

Using wood glue and construction screws, attach the back piece (1x4 Pine) to the bottom (1x4 Pine).

STEP 3: Attach the Front to the Bottom

Using wood glue and finishing nails, attach the front piece (1x2 Pine) to the bottom (1x4 Pine).

STEP 4: Sand the Picture Ledge

Once the picture ledge is fully assembled, do another light sanding. This time, remove any excess wood glue and smooth out the seams.

STEP 5: Stain the Picture Ledge

For this picture ledge, I decided to use a Gel Stain. You can use any stain or keep the wood the natural color. For soft woods, consider using a pre-stain wood conditioner prior to staining.

STEP 6: Seal the Picture Ledge

Once the stain has dried, apply a sealer. I chose to use a polyurethane for my picture ledge.

STEP 7: Hang the Picture Ledge

Using construction screws, screw straight through the back of the picture ledge into the wall. If you are not able to secure the picture ledge into studs, be sure to use anchors.

STEP 8: Style the Picture Ledge

Have fun styling your new picture ledge! One of the best things about a picture ledge is that you can change it up as much as you would like without putting more holes in your wall!

Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Nicole | Simply Aligned Home

• Linda Abate
    Linda Abate

LOVE IT. What a great way to display your favorite photos or paintings. Like the fact that you don't have to use a saw for this project. Great for any room in the home.

• Doreen Kennedy
    Doreen Kennedy

Looks like an easy project that I’d be willing to do. I love the look.