Upcycled Designer Desk Caddy

$1

There are many things I love in life but when it comes to my home I love the designs of Marimekko and using wallpaper in unusual places. You can see many of the things I've upcycled with wallpaper in my home from tables to trash cans here. Recently, I was looking for a new wallpaper for my bedroom and was left with 3 Marimekko wallpaper samples in 3 different colorways. These samples were only A4 paper sized but I still decided to use them for a small craft.

I combined the wall paper samples with tin cans to make a handy designer desk caddy, I even made a little wooden carrier for it.

Firstly, I sprayed the inside of the tin cans to match the colors of the wallpaper samples. The three colorways I had were in green, pink and white.

Next, I measured both the circumference and the height of the tin cans.

I then cut the wallpaper samples to fit the tin cans.

After glueing the paper to the tin cans, I made a little wooden holder to complete the desk caddy.

If you visit the blog post (link at the end) there are a lot more ideas for crafting with small wallpaper samples.

I love how this looks on my desk and love to have a bit of Marimekko on my desk. You could of course use them as utensil holders.

If you don't know Marimekko are a Finnish design company that have been around since the 1950's. I have even wallpapered my stairs in their most iconic pattern design which you can see here.

Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
15 Memorial Day Crafts
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Everything Red For Canada Day
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Nona

What did you do about the rough edge of the can after removing the lid? Thank you

• Car27959662

Or.. you could use a bit of tape on the inside of the can. Or something like play dough..& make a tiny ledge around the edge..when it dries, it should hold.

• Janice

I love to see beautiful, useful pieces made out of "nothing"; very inspiring to many of us. Thanks for posting, Claire.

• Maureen