DIY Fabric Pumpkins

$10

This project isn’t anything new, but it’s good fun, relatively easy, and can be made to customize your seasonal decor. I am so glad I was able to use such a beautiful range of fabrics to make these pumpkins.

I made all of these in an afternoon while listening to a podcast, so these fabric pumpkins could easily be made while watching TV or over the course of a weekend.

Supplies Needed For Fabric Pumpkins
  • 1/4 yard fabric per set of pumpkins (you can get 2 out of a standard width bolt) I used:
  • Antique Velvet Olive Green, Cotton + Steel Lil’ Monsters Sugar Pink, Jaclyn Smith 02633 Upholstery Velvet Coral, Rifle Paper Co. Wonderland Rose Garden,
  • Rifle Paper Co. Menagerie Metallic Canvas
  • Scissors
  • Rice or hard beans -anything to help weigh down the base of the pumpkins
  • Batting or craft finer stuffing
  • Needle and thread. If you use regular thread, double it. You can also use dental floss or upholstery thread.
  • Hot glue gun
  • Pumpkin stems – I used stems from cheap dollar store pumpkins and just pulled them out.
  • Tassels
Step 1.

Chose your fabric and cut it in a circle. To make it easy on myself I cut the fabric in giant squares, folder them twice and trimmed the pieces

Step 2.

Using your thread and needle, start gathering the edge of the circle like an accordion. You want to be able to draw the bag closer once you’ve threaded around the entire edge of the fabric.

Step 3.

Once you’ve sewn around the entire circle, gathering it into a pseudo pouch with an opening, spoon in some rice. You want it to be enough to weigh down the pumpkin, but you don’t want it to be all rice.

Step 4.

Next, fill your pumpkin with batting fibre. Stuff that sucker full, but not to the point where you bust open the stitches.

Step 5.

Once you’re satisfied with the plushness of your pumpkin, pull the thread and needle to draw the opening closed. Apply a large gob of hot glue to the – now small – opening, add your pumpkin stem

Step 6.

Add tassels, or any embellishments and enjoy your beautiful fabric pumpkins!

The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Ariel