Turn Your Old Rackets Into Rustic Fall Decor

$5

Do you have old tennis and badminton rackets you are no longer using? Well, grab them and turn them into the perfect Fall pumpkins to decorate your space with.

Turning Your Rackets Into Decor

I had a few old rackets in storage that I picked up at the dump reuse centre a few years ago and have never used them. I decided it was time to clear them out… so turned them into the perfect Fall pumpkins.

To start, I cut off the handles of the rackets so they became pumpkin shaped. I should note that it was much easier to cut off the tennis handle than the badminton handles. If you cut down badminton rackets, be warned that the metal handle goes right to the racket part. It took a few tries but I was finally able to find the end very close down to the oval.

Painting the Rackets

With the handles cut off, it was quick and easy to paint the rackets. Two coats of orange paint all over the wood and strings and that was it for paint.

To give the pumpkins a little more of a worn, rustic feel they got a sanding and then touches of dark wax.

Adding Texture

I thought it would be fun to add some colour and texture to one of the pumpkins.

I had some chunky yarn leftover from  this project so wove it in and out with an embroidery needle.

A little hot glue on the back of the racket kept each length in place at either end. I did this to the tennis racket since I was only planning on doing one.

Adding Natural Finishing Touches

To finish off the pumpkins, I picked up some dried leaves on a walk and a piece of tree bark.

The tree bark was easily cut in half and become the pumpkin stems. The dried leaves were added in while I glued the stems on.

Displaying Your New Pumpkins

I am seriously in love with these rustic pumpkins and love that they were virtually free. You just can’t beat free 🙂

If you would like to get more thrifty upcycling projects, check out my new book Recreated Designs - Cottage Projects With a Vintage Flair.

To see the original Recreated Designs post, visit the blog link below.

How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Recreated Designs