No Sew Linen Curtains From Tablecloths.

$40

I used two linen tablecloths to make curtains for our bedroom.

I love linen! We have a white linen duvet cover in our master bedroom and I wanted to add white linen curtains as well. I searched online and the prices were really high. I decided to use two linen table cloths I got from Target to DIY my own.

I purchased 2 tablecloths from Target on sale. They were 104" x 60 " so they were the perfect size for my project. The fabric is a little sheer but I am OK with that because we have a blackout liner in our bamboo shades already.

I measured the space for the curtains. I wanted them to kiss the floor so I hooked the end of my measuring tape at the top of my curtain rod and measured to the floor. Taking a picture of my measurements helped! I did not worry about forgetting. I sometimes second guess myself in mid project, but not this time!

I laid the fabric out and measured it to be sure that I got the length just right. I marked the fabric to the length I wanted and folded it at that spot.

I used an iron to give a good crease in that spot.

For the bottom, I chose to use the prefinished edge from the tablecloth to make it easier. If you prefer, you could choose to refinish both ends.

For the top, I had an extra 10 inches of fabric. I folded this excess in half and Ironed again. I double checked the measurements after ironing and then I cut off 5 inches of fabric, half of the excess.

I did this because I planned to use bonding tape for the hem and to make this quick and simple.

Then I folded the excess in half again and ironed the edge. This is the part I will use as the rod pocket.

I laid down the fabric seam binding tape close to my edge and then smoothed over it with the iron.

I made sure the iron was nice and hot to be sure the seams fused together. After I was done ironing, I let it cool completely.

After the seams cooled I hung my new curtains! So quick and easy and just the look I was after!

Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.More info

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions
  • Hortencia Valentin Hortencia Valentin on Dec 16, 2020

hi love your idea unfortunately the image of the tablecloth leads you to amazon and the tablecloths are 100% polyester are those the one you actually used?

• Nancy Nancy on Dec 16, 2020

Did you add black out fabric to the bamboo shades, or were they purchased that way? I love this look!

Comments

4 of 19 comments
  • Joanie Joanie on Dec 20, 2020

I have seen almost anything used for curtains. Wildly enough, if the material, shower curtain, sheets, table cloths, anything you like works for curtains I see nothing wrong and everything right. I could NOT find the shade of blue for my one bathroom for a pair of curtains. I run across the blue in a shower curtain. Sheer and the perfect fit. I put a cheap rod up, bought the shower rings in a plastic shade that matched my rugs and towels. Everything is a perfect match. I've made bedroom curtains out of a quilt. Beautiful for the kitchen also. I've seen quilts for table cloths. ANYTHING that works for you, go for it!! Nice job, btw.

• Dmotan Dmotan on Jan 02, 2021

Where did u buy black out shades.

ur project turned out great.

Next