Upcycle Ideas: Gift Wrapping Idea For Christmas

$10

I have a very unique gift wrapping idea for Christmas this year! It is one of those upcycle ideas that you probably haven't thought about doing. This upcycle project involves using an empty Oxiclean powdered odor and stain remover (I use this regularly.) Since I had a few empty ones laying around that didn't make it into the recycling bin yet, I decided to give them a whole new look and turn them into the holder for a Christmas basket type gift this year!

Materials needed to make your unique gift wrapping idea:

• plastic Oxiclean tub from the odor and stain releasing powder (rinsed out)
  • brown packaging paper
  • Christmas ribbon
  • evergreen sprigs (I snipped these off of trees in my yard - or get some from your real Christmas tree.)
  • gold and white string
  • liquid white glue
  • sponge paintbrush
  • cellophane for wrapping gift baskets
  • hot glue gun
  • gifts to fill it with
  • one bow to wrap around cellophane

Instructions on how to make your reusable and unique Christmas gift wrapping idea:

1. You will start by decoupaging brown paper onto the oxiclean plastic tub. Put some liquid white glue into a paper cup and water it down and stir. Use a 50:50 ratio of water to glue.

Add some watered down glue to the plastic container and then add a ripped off piece of brown paper and glue it down. The brown paper soaks up the glue quickly and makes it easy to work with when it is 100 percent wet.

Slowly work your way around the plastic tub with brown paper and your watered down glue mixture until the whole thing is covered in brown paper. One thing to note is that the brown paper will be somewhat translucent when it is wet, but you don't worry because you won't be able to see the Oxyclean logo when the paper is dry!

4. Let the decoupaged paper dry overnight and trim off any extra paper on the bottom.

5. Now it is time to choose some Christmas ribbon and use your hot glue gun to secure it to the back.

6. Grab your two evergreen sprigs and place them where you want them on the front.

7. Get your gold and white string and tie it around the evergreen sprigs a couple of times.

8. Tie the string in the back in a knot and use some more hot glue to secure it in place.

9. Here is how it looks from the front! Nice simple Christmas design that you'd never guess used to be covered with an Oxiclean logo!

10. After all of your gifts are placed in the tub, it's time to wrap it in cellophane.

11. Bunch up all of the cellophane and tie more string around it so it stays in place. You may need to use some tape to close up the sides (depending on how wide your cellophane is.)

12. Add a bow for one last touch and your gift is done! Whomever is the recipient can now re-use this and give it to someone else! This a wonderfully unique way to re-purpose a plastic container and a very unique way wrap a Christmas gift this year!

Want to know other unique ways to wrap gifts? Or do you want some DIY gift ideas? Check out these ideas:

• Turn Those Ugly Cookie Tins Into an Adorable Re-Usable Gift Box!
  • The BEST List of Easy DIY Christmas Gifts

20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
Maura White

• Cdc49333011
    Cdc49333011

Will gluing brown paper with this method work on glass?

• Maura White
      Maura White

I haven't tried on glass but sounds like the ladies above have! I want to try it on glass next!

• Edie Zsuzsics
    Edie Zsuzsics

I use empty coffee cans and do something similar for christmas cookie gifts.

• Nana4
    Nana4

Good idea. I have lots of brown paper from delivery box stuffing. Will that work?