Stock Kitchen Cabinets Into Dining Room Buffet

$350

For the eight years I we have lived in our home I have wanted some sort of buffet piece in our dining room. The only problem was it had to a narrow piece because of the minimal space, and we also had a baseboard electric heater on that wall.

After years of using shelves to fill the space, I wanted my buffet. So after talking to my husband and others I decided to remove the electric baseboard heater. We have never once turned it on to use, since we heat our home with our wood stove so it was an easy decision. Once it was removed my options opened up a little more, but it still had to be narrow.

That’s when I decided to build my own out of stock upper kitchen cabinets. They are only 12″ deep and basically built for me so I knew it would be an easy project.

I also used upper cabinets in our built ins at our cottage as well as other parts of our home. So I had an idea of what I was going to do.

Create a base out of 2×4 the length you need to have the cabinet sit on them flush. See picture. Screw the base into the studs on the wall. I did remove the moulding on the wall to create a built in look.

Place cabinets on top of base, make sure they are level and flush. Screw them together using cabinet screws through the cabinet frames.

Screw the back of the cabinets into the studs into the wall.

Once secure, cut the 1×4 to length for the front and side trim pieces. I used a beveled edge for the corners. You can absolutely use a butt joint as well. I like the way a beveled corner looks.

Attach the 1x4s to the 2×4 base with your nail gun (or pre drill pilot holes and use a hammer and finishing nails).

For the top of the Buffet I used an Glue Edge Panel it was 16″ deep and 8′ long. I did rip the board down on my table saw so it was only 12.5″ and not hanging over the top to far.

I stained the wood top in a combination of stains to get the natural bleached wood look.

I am obsessed with how this turned out and I should have done it years ago! This is a very easy beginner build and can be built in 1-2 days.

• Stock kitchen upper cabinets  (Lowes)
  • Pine Boards  (Lowes)

30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Tara Boettger

• Denise Brubaker
    Denise Brubaker

Hello;) Great job on the dining room hutch!! Can i ask what are the dimensions of you cabinets and how long is the wall you used them on ? thanks so much !! Denise ;)

• Judi
    Judi

Beautiful, we used those cabinets for book shelves

• Tonya Smothermon
    Tonya Smothermon

This is such a great idea. It looks good in your dinning room too.

• Lynn
    Lynn

I just love these cabinets--they are so versatile and since they aren't very deep, they work in so many places. Your room looks fantastic!

• Jan
    Jan
    Yesterday

Your room is beautiful !! Can I ask what paint colors you used for the cabinets and your walls? Looks very good together !! Thank you for sharing with the community !