Build This Simple Carport for Your Shed With Mostly Scrap Materials

$90

Several years ago we built this large barn-style shed (from a kit), to store tools and equipment. It has worked great, but it’s getting full, and I really wanted to get some extra storage space to use in the winter.

I liked the idea of adding a “Car Port” style garage like the image below, to the side of the shed, for some additional outdoor storage. It would be perfect for bikes, lawnmower’s and other outdoor kinda stuff.

Problem: The cost of lumber has gone through the roof due to COVID. It would cost 3-4 times as much to build this now compared to a year ago.

Solution: Scavenge the scrap pile.

Where to start when building a carport?

This project started at the top. From there I determined where I needed posts, and what level they should be. The only reason for this is because I didn’t have 4×4 posts long enough for the full height. you’ll see my creative solution below.

Step one was to attach a 2×4 header board to the existing shed to support the new roof. I attached this just below the current roofline, low enough that I could tuck the new shingles under the existing ones.

Before attaching my pallet to the header board, I cut some 2×3’s at 15 degrees and attached them to each end of the pallet. This gave my roof a gradual slope.

Next, I used my ladder and some scrap wood to support the end while I attached my pallet to the header board.

To determine where I needed to put the posts to support the roof, I made a simple pendulum-style marker using a socket and some string. No need to be perfect here, just pretty close.

To make up the difference I made a 2×4 frame and attached it to the top of each post, and the bottom of the roof. To frame in the base I used 2×6 lumber leftover from last years skating rink 😮

Something else I had lying around that was the perfect height is the beautiful cast iron grate from an old bench, that I used as an insert, and to support the roof.

At this point the basic structure is complete. All that’s left is to box it in a bit and make it pretty.

I used a scrap sheet of particleboard and plywood for the back and side. To fill in the 16″ or so I was short on the side, I used cut-up pallet boards.

I used double black shingles for the roof. Not quite the same but close enough of a match that it’s not noticeable compared to the original shingles.

My lawnmower just barely fits in, but it does the job, and now I can store all the bikes in here over the winter.

Check out more of our simple DIY’s here

15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
August December Home

• MB
    MB

Love the recycled bench metal. I repurposed an old gazebo frame or arch and added it to my husband’s grill shed I built for him. As a decorative touch above the entrance. Love your roof.

• LinneaSanchez
    LinneaSanchez

Great job!