The Chirping Frog
The Chirping Frog
  • Glen Carbon, IL

"Wood" Walkway

We knew we wanted a pathway with spaces between the steps, similar to some we've seen at National parks. Wood would be great but who wants to take care of it? Not me! Our solution, of course, was concrete. This was quite the project. Pretty much took an entire spring/summer with at least four different "pours." Crazy, but we both love the finished result.
conrete wood walkway backyard, concrete masonry, diy, woodworking projects
We poured it in two pieces. This was the first half. You can see the curb and rock underneath and then it was framed out so that the planks will hang over the edge of the curb.
There are two pieces of rebar in each plank that are tied to a u-shaped piece sticking up from the curb. It's not going anywhere.
You can see our homemade form liners on the edge. We needed 86 pieces in order to pour half the planks. We used a stamp we had (a tree slice) with leftover concrete from the curb pour as a template. Lots of prep work involved but pretty neat stuff (some type of urethane liquid rubber mix two parts together and smooth it into your template. Sets up overnight, and we had to do it multiple times).
Pouring.
Stamping.
Here's a close-up after I'd gotten all the stamping mess cleaned up. Our plan was to just let the wood rot out and not worry about it...yeah, that didn't happen. Drove my husband crazy. He tried a variety of ways to remove the wood and ended up using a chainsaw. yes, he's crazy. He could only do about six before his chain was dull and he had to switch it out. He stopped every day for probably a week to have the chains sharpened, not recommended, but it did work!
We needed this walkway to be wheelchair accessible so to keep the grade right it had to be off the ground by quite a lot in places. We first poured the footings and then on top of that is this wall (curb). (We used leftover siding from the house to get the texture. Not ideal but it did work. Much less expensive that buying the form liners). You can also see how well our little ends worked.
Here's a look at the final product.
A close-up of the stamping. Only drawback that we've found. I find myself making noise as I walk down it. One of the guys who always helps us with our pours brought his wife over she wasn't impressed with the snake that popped its head up when they were walking down it.
Here it is from the bottom in it's setting. The wall is another project I'm trying to get completed before winter you can see more on it here:

The Chirping Frog

• Hlpinghand

Okay I've got to say this has to be one of the most ingenious walkways I've ever seen! I absolutely LOVE it! Question--#1 in picture 7 (I think) it looks like your walkway has been set over what looks like a wooden retaining wall--is that true? #2 I can see that you put a bottom plywood base into your forms for the planks to overhang the curb, but what about the space between the curbs--did you simply fill the entire space with cement? I ask that because especially where that retaining wall area is, the space between ground and cement planks would be pretty deep. #3 About removing those wood dividers between the planks--I too would have never thought about how hard it would be to remove them. So your comment got me to thinking about 2 alternatives that might make it easier and wanted to know if you think they would have helped. First one is what I called Plumber's Strapping Metal Tape--Home Depot calls it "Perforated Metal Hanger Straps-SKU 173681." It's 3/4" wide by 100' for $13.26. Maybe attach a length of the strap on the bottom of each end of those planks leaving enough hanging off to allow a secure plier grip before you place it into the form. When the forms are removed, have one guy at each end of the spacer plier-grab that piece of strap and pull the plank up and out. The other option would be to drill a long hole into the ends of each plank form. When it's time to remove the forms, insert a long piece of rebar into the pre-drilled holes (one at each end) and have those two guys each pull upward--hopefully lifting the plank up and out.

• Kate Rothacker

Hi --I tried to follow your link to get more info on the gorgeous mural fence, but cannot find the info on your fb page. Can you give me a more direct link?

• R_A_I_N_E

HOW DID YOU DO THE FENCE

• The Chirping Frog

More specific as to the "fence". Is that the area under the walkway that looks like wood? It's a concrete curb that we poured before hand using hardiboard siding as a liner to create the wood appearance. The hardiboard was a bear to remove even with form oil but it worked.

• Boingercat

I think "how did you do the fence" refers to that spectacular wall/fence with the trees painted (?) on it? Is that real or faux brick? Beautiful.
  • Catherine

The walkway is beautiful!! I cannot find info about the wall on your fb page. Can you send a more direct link?
  • Heidi Piltz

Interesting and useful idea. However, like the other people commenting, the fence is the big attention-getter here. More info on that?

• Artemis

We will be rehabbing the decking in my garden this winter and were considering composite, but I like this idea better. I haven't priced it yet, but it should be less expensive than composite boards. Thanks!
  • Patsy47

AMAZZZING.....and i am pretty sure, amazingly expensive!!