Heathered Nest
Heathered Nest
  • Garrett Park, MD

And We'll Never Be Royals - Powder Room Makeover

They say purple is the color of royalty. But Lorde may have said it best..."we'll never be royals." Good jam, right? This was our "royal" powder room when we moved out here to our house in the country...
bathroom makeover painting floors redo
Complete with broken vinyl roller shade, linoleum that showed a lot of wear and tear, and paint that had been infused with air freshening scent (may sound good on paper, but trust me, don't take the bait)...
bathroom makeover painting floors redo
THIS "royal" needed a flush...
bathroom makeover painting floors redo
So after just two weeks living in our new pad, we got to work. Because, let's face it, we were never gonna be down with that "royal" throne room. We saved what we could, including the oak vanity, which is now being used as storage elsewhere in the house.
bathroom makeover painting floors redo
The design for this bathroom really took off once I found the pedestal sink. For weeks, I'd been scouring Craigslist for a vintage pedestal, and when I saw this one, I knew I had a winner.
bathroom makeover painting floors redo
This is a 1930's-1940's cast iron sink. It was absolutely stunning. Had a bit of rust, and needed to be re-plumbed, but for $80, I think I got a GREAT deal. My father came along with me to pick it up...he wasn't so impressed, to put it mildly.
Sure, it had issues, but that's universal, right? And, afterall, we aren't royals...we can deal with a little rust.
bathroom makeover painting floors redo
OK, so maybe more than a little rust. We had the sink professionally refinished. You won't BELIEVE the transformation.
We did the walls are done in a burlap grasscloth...purely with leftovers we had saved from another wallpaper job, so that cost us nothing.
Head here >> for AFTER PICTURES, FULL SOURCE list, and LOTS of other BATHROOM renovations we've tackled!
bathroom makeover painting floors redo
We used marble subway tiles (the relatively inexpensive kind) on the floor, and installed them in a herringbone pattern. There's a snippet of it above. Do you like?
I CAN'T WAIT to show you the room now! Head on over!!!
Heathered Nest

• Lisa Van Luling

Hello!! Do you have more info on the tiles that you used? Thanks!!!

• L Dub

the floor is soooo beautiful! the pedestal sink is bold and beautiful as well. great job.