Sewing Machine Base Becomes a Beauty

Cheap find at an auction; $4. It was covered in rust, dust, spider webs, etc. I think it had been in a barn for a long time.
Rusty & dusty sewing machine base.
Scrubbing (brillo pads are the best) outdoors with a hose nearby to wash away the icky stuff. I used a wire brush also.
Painted after cleaning
A good rust preventative spray paint is the best.
The finished product.
Next, I visited a monument business. I asked to see their remnant pieces of marble. With measurements in hand, we found this perfect (and obscenely heavy) white marble slab, a perfect compliment to the black base.

Melnee Benfield

• Cou5052461

I didn't even know monument/headstone stores sold remnants. I'm assuming, by what you said about this piece being "perfect", that it wasn't altered in any way. How much did you pay for your piece?

• X

A little bit of odd going back and forth here.....I am interested also in how much the marble slab cost.....I saw the question...did I overlook the answer?
  • Teri

Love to try it. We have the marble slab, but need the base. How did you attach the marble to the base?

• Bren

I want to know where on earth you manage to find this for four dollars. Every place I’ve looked including secondhand stores want at least 10 times that. Glad you were able to make such a beautiful table out of what you found. It’s gorgeous.

• Melnee Benfield

About 6 Or 7 years ago, before they became an item, you could find them at auctions for next to nothing. All of that changed due to social media. Everyone jumped on the bandwagon and violá! Now, they are ridiculously expensive. At rural auctions, when old barns are cleaned out, these would pop up; rusty and dirty.

• Michelle

i did this same thing but was able to obtain a marble candy making slab for $10.00 at an estate sale.

• Carol Cole

That turned out really nice. I love it. Great job.