Mom4Real
Mom4Real
  • Lexington, KY

DIY Cat Deterrent - Stop Furniture Scratching and Urinating on Carpet

I love my cats, but when they started scratching my new couch and one of them started urinating on an area of our carpet, I had to find a solution. I wanted to be sure that it was safe for them, so I did a ton of research and came up with this all natural, chemical free cat deterrent spray. It smells great and works like a charm. My cats don't seem upset, they just avoid the area where I spray it!
diy cat deterrent stop furniture scratching and urinating on carpet, go green, pets animals
That's Macy Grace...our kitten. She came up to the table while I was photographing the cat spray and quickly sniffed and left...she is not a fan of the smell.
You will need clear dish liquid, eucalyptus essential oil, lemon essential oil, water and a clean spray bottle.
Fill your spray bottle 3/4 full with water, then add a few drops of the dish liquid.
Now add the essential oils.
Shake well and spray where you don't want your cats to scratch or urinate. It's always best to make sure that if your cat has urinated on your carpet that you clean it thoroughly to remove the cat urine odor. If there is an area in your home that you don't want your cat to visit, use this spray there as well...they will avoid going around the smell. For the exact recipe and many more homemade cleaning solutions, click the link below and visit my blog!
Mom4Real

• Susie

Even though the oil is diluted will that leave any kind of damage where you spray it. Once you get oil of any kind of plant into anything it doesn't come out so will this make spots even though it's diluted

• Anna Mintz

DO NOT DO THIS. Lemon and eucalyptus essential oils are HIGHLY POISONOUS if ingested by a cat, even if diluted!

While it is true that some essential oils can be safe for use around animals, some are absolutely not. Cats' livers cannot produce the enzymes necessary to break down certain oils and they will be poisoned to death if they lick at ANY spot that's been treated with them.

https://articulateanimals.com/blog/2009/10/essential-oils-2/

• Puu7527274

Thanks Anna.I never try anything with my kitties unless vet approved.