Replacing & Cool Weather Operation of *Heart* a Ceiling Fan

$60

The Story :: Most folks are unaware that a ceiling fan may be set in the winter to optimize your home's heating potential. By simply flicking the motor switch into reverse (usually up & blades spinning to the right aka clockwise), stagnant warm air is moved off of the ceiling and back down into the room. (See the vid below for a demo of this.)

The BackStory :: Having a pair of apartments that we rent, I occasionally get called to perform landlord-like duties. And one item that *had* been on my to do list was replacing the ceiling fan in this tenant's kitchen.

Now, I know, when it comes to ceiling fans folks usually fall into one of two camps. You either love them or you hate them. Very extreme, it seems. Me personally, well, and maybe it is the geek in me, but I L.O.V.E. them. They after all are very efficient in design and employ one of the simpliest simple machines. The inclined plane.

As far as installing one, manufacturers (like Hampton Bay) have it down to a science and any diyer with basic set of tools and moderate skill can get one in within an hour. I find that this process is speeded along by assembling as much as possible on the ground prior to hanging the fan.

To read more, about simple machines in the home >> www.buildingmoxie.com/2008/11/six-simple-machines/. Or about what went on around this install >> www.buildingmoxie.com/2012/12/resolution-christmas-in-baltimore/.

Thanks, Happy 2013.
Before: Old Kitchen Ceiling Fan.
One Hour Later: New Kitchen Ceiling Fan.
Assemble New Fan on the Ground.
Old Harness Old Wiring Disconnect.
New Harness with Cleaned up Wiring. Final Connections after New Fan is Set in Harness.
Balancing of New Fan May be Required b/c Ceiling is Never Level.
Switch Up in Cold Weather Position.
Cool Weather Operation of a Ceiling Fan.

Building Moxie