Apple Crates Shelf

$100

You may have noticed that I have a tendency to constantly redecorate my apartment. That is why I really like to take my time considering if I want to realize a large project. It is just no fun to work for weeks on something, only to take it apart again a few days later because I dont like it anymore. So for the last two months, I tried to decide, if I want an apple crate shelf, or whether the 1000 variations of this project on the internet have already ruined that idea for me. As you can see, I have given myself the green light and at least since yesterday I didnt regret it.
apple crates shelf, craft rooms, how to, repurposing upcycling, shelving ideas, storage ideas
First I bought twelve apple crates from a farm for my shelf, cleaned them, sanded them...
...and then I amused myself for a few days with painting them (and large parts of myself) white.
Since I knew from the beginning that I wanted to mount at least one apple crate without visible support to the wall, I drew twelve small rectangles and pushed these around on paper until I was satisfied with a result. It would have been just too much trouble to test the form for my shelf with the real crates.
Now I only had to stack the crates, screw the top three crates to the wall and fill all that empty space.
Yes, I know. I've only painted white again! But this time I had a really good reason. I knew that the content of the shelf would be colorful and for colors white is just the most beautiful background!
If you like to see more of my projects, just visit my blog :-)
Ronja Lotte

• Marmota Peccable

Love it! Do you think the crates would support many books' weight?

• Bassetthound

Books can bend solid board shelves over time. They might pull the crates apart.

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

Why did you only attach the top three? Are the others sorta wedged in there now? This us a great idea for you storage for my boys' room too, but they're climbing hellions. Is this a bad idea? What is your opinion?

• Jeanne Martin

You could attach ALL the crates to each other as you go up and then to the wall. If they did climb it it should be fairly safe.

• Lisa Sinclair

Love this idea! I've been looking for a way to add storage to my bedroom, without the bulk of an amoire. I think this would be perfect. Thank you!

• Michele Levin

I do not have a linen closet and it drives me crazy trying to find all the hiding places where I placed my linen!! I do believe this project is just what I need for a spare bedroom. I am going to give it a try. Thanks for this great idea!!