Sarah Jane Dunaway
Sarah Jane Dunaway
  • Washington, DC

9 Ways to Clean With Limes

I love lemons and it seems like all you hear about are creative cleaning uses for lemons. During this time of year it appears that most limes are reserved for gin and tonics or margaritas! Well, I’m here to tell you limes are equally awesome so I’ve gathered together some of my favorite ways to clean with limes!
9 ways to clean with limes, appliances, cleaning tips, repurposing upcycling
1. Clean the coffee maker
Pour the juice of three limes into the reservoir of your coffee maker. Add water. Let sit for about 30 minutes, then run the coffee maker without a filter. Once completed, wait 30 minutes then run once more with plain water to rinse.
2. Refresh the garbage disposal
Toss a few pieces of lime into the garbage disposal to freshen it up.

3. Clear hands of odors
Rub your hands with the juice of a lime to help remove any lingering cooking odors on your hands.
4. De-stink the dishwasher
Squeeze the juice of one lime into the bottom of your dishwasher to help neutralize any odors.
5. Make stainless steel shine
Sprinkle half of a lime with salt, then rub gently over your stainless steel appliances. Wipe down with a soft cloth. This same process also works to remove water stains from faucets, etc.
6. Clean the microwave
Pour the juice of one lime into a glass Pyrex or microwave-safe bowl. Cook for 6 minutes. Once completed, wipe down the inside of your microwave with a soft, dry cloth.
7. Clean wooden utensils
Wipe down wooden cutting boards, bowls, rolling pins and utensils with lime juice to remove odors built up over time.
8. Prevent mildew
Mix together equal parts of lime juice and baking soda. Use to scrub bathroom grout and tile. Let sit for 3 hours before rinsing clean.
9. Clear the Air
Boil a pot of water with several slices of lime to remove any lingering odors in the kitchen. Let boil for at least 30-45 minutes.
Sarah Jane Dunaway