Repurposed Bird Bath

$10

Do you have an old bird bath? I did and it wasn't doing anything to enhance my lawn. I repurposed it as a whimsical lawn decor piece.

I had this old, unattractive bird bath. It was hiding amid the shrubbery and I thought of getting rid of it. But, I decided to repurpose it instead.

I've seen some bird baths that have been turned into planters and fairy gardens with some lovely flowers and plants in them. While I love how those look, I do not have a green thumb at all. Rather than trying to grow something in the bird bath, I wanted to make it a fun and colorful decor piece.

The first step was to clean it up. After I cleaned it, I thought it would look better with a fresh paint job. I chose black to match the railings on my front steps and my front door. I used Rustoleum Universal Paint and Primer in One spray paint.

I added some dirt to the center, but rather than filling it and having the dirt spill over when it rains, I only added enough to serve as a base. I topped the dirt with a pizza pan from the Dollar Tree. I first glued moss to the pan and then added in the decor pieces, gluing those down as well.

*NOTE - I've since removed the pan and drilled holes in the basin to allow the rain water to drain out.

I chose a lot of colorful pieces to give it that pop that I wanted.

I couldn't find an appropriately sized pond, so I made one by spray painting an old CD blue and gluing clear vase fillers to it.

It's a fun little lawn decor piece that was easy to put together.

*Note: Even with holes drilled into the basin, some rain water remains. The basin is not attached to the base, so it’s easy to just tip it over a little and allow the rain water to spill out. The pieces are nestled into the faux moss and I haven't had a problem with them floating or even falling over when it rains.

To see more, please visit the link below.

I'm enjoying changing out the pieces seasonally. Currently, it has a fall look and I'm looking forward to using the Christmas pieces I found for it during the holidays.

This is how it looked over the Christmas Season. I found the Christmas pieces on clearance at Michael's.

A note about bird baths in my area- they are breeding grounds for mosquitoes. I live in a marshland. The birds have plenty of water nearby, so I don't think they will miss having a bath in my lawn.

• Rustoleum Universal Paint and Primer in One Spray
  • Decor Pieces

Beverly Roderick at Across the Blvd

• Nancy Trawick

What type of glue did you use to glue the pieces down?
  • Maureen

What happens when you get 2-3 inches of rain? Do you cover it? Or does it sit undercover? I can picture everything floating and getting messed up! I’d like to try this but am trying to plan ahead. Thanks!

• In an early update to the post, I mentioned that we drilled holes in the basin. Most of the water drains out that way. I haven't had any problem with the items floating when when it rains. I need to do another update to the post.

• Vicki Feldman Dickelman

Where did you find the cute decorations

• Zelda

OMG I love your fairy garden and your ideas.  I've been wanting to make one but never got around to it. Repurposing and old bird bath is a great idea. I have two of them and a lot of "junk "to put in them. Now I know where to put my angels etc. THANK YOU, THANK YOU , THANK YOU!!!!