Nancy at Craft Your Happiness
Nancy at Craft Your Happiness
  • Hot Springs National Park, AR

Wind Spinner From Soda Bottle

We made some fun wind spinners from a 2 liter soda bottle, though any size would work. This can be hung from a tree or placed on a dowel that is stuck into the ground.
(You can see a small video of it in use on my blog post at the bottom.)
wind spinner from soda bottle, crafts, how to, repurposing upcycling
Supplies
2 Liter Soda Bottle with straight sides
X-Acto type knife
Wipe off marker
Acrylic paint
Dowel 5/8″ diameter, 36″ tall or longer. (For putting into the ground)
Nut and bolt and fishing line (for hanging only)
Drill if you’re hanging it.
This shows the steps used. We cut ours using a fancier design but basic curved cuts work just as well! After cutting you can pint the bottle with acrylic or puffy paint.
If you're going to hang it rather than place it on a dowel in the ground you need to attach a bolt to the lid as shown. (More photos and details on blog post below)
Nancy at Craft Your Happiness

• Mary lu

great idea, but how did you get the flaps to stay ope? plastic is hard to stay bent.

• Ironhorse68450

I asked my hubby this question...he used ViseGrip welding pliers ( with a flat end) to bend the flaps! then I just REALLY applied pressure to the bends. It worked!!

• Lucy Swayngim

I can't tell from the tiny photo how/ where you cut and what the popsicle stick is used for.

• Hi Lucy! Sorry about that. It is a bit confusing. This was an older post and so it does not have the larger photos like I do now. Those were used to just help bend the plastic so we got a straight fold. If you check out our full post on our site it might be a little clearer. Ü bit.ly/sodabottlewindspinner

• DORLIS

Popcycle sticks have so many uses. Plastic bottles, toilet paper rolls and popcycle sticks, what would we do without them. This a great idea and since it is plastic I would not worry about it being broken (we have pretty strong winds sometimes and glass goodies usually end up on the ground in a million pieces).

• Ironhorse68450

SOOOO TRUE! I live in Nebraska....that's why we don't hang anything that's GLASS!!!! Love this idea....am makin it as soon as I can!!

• Lisarae

th vibration of the wind blowing the spinners will travel down to the ground and for some reason moles don't like it, thiu I have ne asked one why. LOL