My Garden Bench. Literally!

Hannah asked if I would show this on Hometalk and finally I am getting around to it. I have a thing for garden benches and this is my favourite "thing" to do with them. I make them into true garden benches.
garden bench to planter, container gardening, flowers, gardening, outdoor furniture
This particular one was so easy because I'd already painted the bench so I just removed the two inner slats of the seat, they just unscrewed. Then I looked around my junk for something to sit in the newly opened space and low and behold, I had two plastic lg size shoe boxes from Home Depot and the lip around the edges sat perfectly on the remaining slats. Sometimes things just work out.
I wrapped the boxes in some ground fabric, also in my junk, so you couldn't see they were plastic. My hubby drilled several holes in the bottoms first of course for drainage. Then all I had to do was fill them with soil and plants. I used wave petunias and potato vines, geraniums and spike plants just for some height variation. It's been cool here and things aren't growing like they should but by the end of Aug I will be cutting the vines off the ground.
This is now at our trailer along with my rock, another thing I have a thing for, I sprayed it silver, glued some hummingbirds on and wrote our site number on as well. The hummingbird feeder above the bench is drained on a steady basis by the visiting birds.
I have made this type of garden bench before, a much larger one, and my husband built me a box that fit in perfectly. It was really beautiful and cars use to stop out front to look at it. This is good for balconies and small yards or patios. Hope you like it.

• Jana Pirtle

Love your bench, gave me an idea how to use a broken one I have. You mentioned another one larger. Do you have photos of it? The larger one sounded like it was much more involved and gorgeous. Would love to see it.

• Jana Pirtle

Thanks. My bench has the back broke in a few spots that make it unable to sit on and lean back. The metal that its made from is not able to be welded. I don't want to make it into a bench because the lattice back is whats pretty about it. As soon as we finish rebuilding our patio I am going to put it together with similar flowers as you. Thanks for pushing my button and getting me moving. Lol

• Charlotte Sells Davis

Not a?? Just wanted to say you have given me such a great idea. Just moved in a new house and brought my old ugly bench but this is perfect. Thanks for sharing

• Lori

That's good. That was about three summers ago and things have changed, but here is my present bench which gets very little sun. Not as pretty but fits into the garden scheme.