Install Your Own Backyard Water Feature In Under 3 Hours

We've been working on our backyard this year, and a water feature was something that we really wanted to add to our space. Although we thought that installing a trio of gurglers would be complicated, we were pleasantly surprised to find that it was a very simple job - we finished in under 3 hours! Read how we did it (and get some of our tips and tricks) on the blog post!
Because we were installing a trio of basalt gurglers (we bought them at Northwest Landscape Supply - http://www.landscapesupply.com/catalog/) we used a three-way splitter with our pump.
This part of the yard used to be inhabited by a huge, ugly shrub. We called it "Jabba the Hut" - and it had to go.

After removing Jabba (see the offending pile of crazy in the background? That's what we ripped up), we dug a hole in the yard that was just deep enough for our reservoir. It sat with just the lip slightly above the ground.
The rocks had to be wheeled around on a dolly. Hernias were not on our 'to-do" list that day.
For tips on how to thread the gurglers with the pump hose and the LED lights, head to the post.
Once we had hooked up the hoses to the pump - and tested them! - we started to cover the reservoir with smooth polished rocks .
Almost beautiful... we just needed to set the stage.
Some lava rock, planters and stepping stones finished the look. Head to the blog post to see how we did it all! Stone sources in the US: http://www.marenakos.com http://www.pacificstoneco.com/home.html
And here it is at night... it's absolutely magical!

Tara @ Suburble

• Sam24517061

Where did you find those beautiful BIG rocks & who drilled the whole through it??? TIA😊
  • Carolyn Chapman Thomas

Yes! Where did you get a reservoir and did you drill your own rocks?

• Carol Norton

Lowe’s and Home Depot carry them in the summer months in the garden center, but most stone companies also carry them. Check out NW Stone near Portland, OR if you’re in that area.

• Betty

How did you drill your holes in the rock¿

• Yofrendonna

Very nice. I put our 150 gallon fish pond with waterfall in over a weekend. Love it Digging the hole was no fun For this 60 year old granny.
  • Sandi

I would like to make a solar fall/container box to use our abundant sun to heat water for my pool. I'd like it to overflow heated water into the pool. I know to use black liner and rocks for heat nut don't know how to do the water pump(s). Initial water could be from pool filter or could come directly from pool directly. I can cover any pipes or tubes with artificial grass or put them underground as it does not freeze here. It would be a bonus to control amount of heated water as I only need it in winter and don't require more than 3-4 degree increase. I could slow down flow in summer to keep feature in use or, if necessary, turn it off. I'm 72 and I can do the work, I just need help, please?!