Painting Fabric With Milk Paint

I scored these chairs on a Facebook buy and sell page awhile ago. They were purchased with the sole purpose of painting the fabric. Crazy I know. I figured if it didn’t work out, I would re-upholster them and call it a day.
Milk paint comes in powdered form and is mixed in a 1:1 ratio. I brushed on the milk paint in a thin coat. If you are using any other paint, they advise you to spray a misting of water on the fabric prior to your first coat. I opted to skip this step and honestly I don’t know that it would have made a huge difference in how the first coat went on if I had done it. Milk paint adheres really well to raw material, so the first coat sucked up pretty good. I did find though that it covered quite well for how light the color was compared to original color of the fabric. As it dried the material on the chair stiffened up quite a bit.
Here's what it looked like with the second coat, still wet.
A 3rd coat of paint was applied and once it dried I gave it light sanding with a 400 grit paper. This made a world of difference in the way the fabric felt! I sealed it all off with a generous coating of soft wax and called it a day.
I'm happy to report that although it was quite trial and error, the end result was just what I was hoping for.
Check out the blog for the full tutorial as well as the do's and don'ts I learned along the way!

Chandra | #Blessed