DIY Disinfectant Spray
As a chemist, I get asked almost daily what is the best homemade disinfectant.
There is a lot of misinformation out there, so we have a new post for you all about making the best DIY disinfectant for your home.
The most IMPORTANT part of this homemade solution is how you apply it though. Make sure you read this in detail on our blog so you can make sure you are using it right :)
Feel free to join us on IG for videos like this too (alexis.roch)
- 70% Rubbing Alcohol (this is the best % for disinfecting, read more on our blog)
- Lemon Peels
- Lemon Essential Oil (optional, but a great addition for scent)
- Glass Jar With Lid
- Glass Spray Bottle
How To Make Homemade Disinfectant Spray:
- First, you need to create your lemon infused rubbing alcohol. Fill a glass jar with lemon peels, top it with rubbing alcohol. Infuse for 2 weeks or so. Head to this blog post for an in-depth talk about lemon infused rubbing alcohol.
- Strain the lemon peels after two weeks and add rubbing alcohol solution to a glass spray bottle.
- Add in lemon essential oil for an enhanced lemon scent. This is optional! The smell of the lemon infused alcohol has a pleasant scent already.
How To Use This DIY Disinfectant Spray Correctly:
Here is the crucial part of this guide today. Using this homemade disinfectant properly is what makes this work or not! I also recommend reading our post cleaning vs disinfecting (link to this in blog post).
- Step one: Clean the surface you want to disinfect. Cleaning is removing all the dirt and debris. You can clean with anything you like.
- Step two: Spray entire surface thoroughly with this DIY alcohol-based disinfectant and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Step three: Wipe off with a microfiber, towel, or paper towel.